24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Fuel Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Fuel Problems

2001 Dodge Ram 2500
5.9L Turbo Diesel
Stock

(All this happened over a month ago)
One day I was driving down the road after hot rodding a little and my truck starts cutting out, like it's starving for fuel. So I pull over and pop the hood. It's still sittin there spit'n and spudder'n. The truck finally dies and won't start up again. I mess around in the enigine bay (not knowing what the hell i'm doin) I try to start it and she fires right up like nothing ever happened. I drove back to the house and changed my fuel filter and didn't have any problems until here recently.
I was on my way to town and it started doin the same thing again. Only this time the b!tch left me stranded. I had it towed home and just left it behind the shop. I talked to my Brother-in-Law who said it was most likely the Fuel Injection Pump. So I just called her shot and left her sittin until I could come up with the money. I didn't think about a fuel filter again because the first one I changed didn't have more than a few hundred miles on it. I figured it would still be good.
After about a month of sittin behind the shop I got curious and pulled it into the shop (which took about 30 minutes to move 50ft or so because it was still cuttin out) when I finally got it into the shop I took apart the lift pump,fuel filter housing and all the lines from the lift pump to the fuel injector pump. I cleaned out everything and made sure the lines had no debry in them. I put everything back together with a new fuel filter. I made sure the lift pump kicked on and it did. After finally getting her to start she ran like new (for about an hour) and started the cuttin out thing again. I don't hear the lift pump kick on everytime I turn the key over, is it supposed to? My lights dim every once in a while when this happens to. What the heck is goin on? Someone please help. I like this truck but it's ****'n me off and i'm bout to light a match.

Last edited by InsaneDomestics; 01-31-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Im no genious here but i would thing its between the lift pump and the Vp44. mine did that the other day but only because the aftermarket lift pump lost power for a bit, but i got her fixed up. So seeing that the lift pump is cheaper, i would start there. plus the stock lift pumps are junk anyways so i would upgrade. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Diesel Fan

That's kinda what I was leaning towards. I'm a newb with the diesel stuff so what is the best 'Bang for the Buck" lift pump. I have a completely stock truck but more power never hurt, what LP do you suggest? Also, will a better flowing LP make more power or can the injection pump only flow so much?

Last edited by InsaneDomestics; 01-31-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:54 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do you capitalize the first letter on every word? It makes it nearly impossible to read. If you fix that, I'm sure more people will be able to better understand what you are trying to say.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Since I have nothing better to do I will go back and fix all that just for you

Last edited by InsaneDomestics; 01-31-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Grab a fuel pressure gauge and also check codes. Thanks for making it easier to read, and welcome to the forum!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Diesel Fan

Your welcome and thanks. Where do some of you guys have your FPG mounted?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

all that running the truck with low fuel pressure has hurt the injection pump. It may work for a while but save up for a new one. But get yourself a raptor, airdog, or fass and get the fuel to the pump. add 1oz per gallon 2 stroke oil and hope she lives for a while. Classic signs of a vp starved for fuel and driven. Stock lift pump = dog crap and will leave you when you stranded when you can afford it least.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

gauge is on the pillar, easy to see and read. And i just gave away a two place pod.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by firstdiesel
gauge is on the pillar, easy to see and read. And i just gave away a two place pod.
I thought it was illegal to have a fuel pressure gauge inside the cab ???

Quick Reply: Fuel Problems