24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Hard starts - Cold engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Hard starts - Cold engine

Recently, after my truck had been sitting all day in about 33 degree temperatures, I experienced hard starting. The truck would start momentarily, then die (like it wasn't getting fuel), tried to start again and same thing, on the third try the thing finally kept running. This has also occurred on every start since, after the truck had been sitting for several hours or overnight, in temperatures about 30ish. I found that once it had finally gotten it running, I could turn it off, and it would then start right up. The lift pressure is okay about 10 psi at idle. If I just cycle the lift pump, without starting, the pressure maintains around 10 psi then falls to about 2 psi within seconds after the lift pump has shut off. Still waiting to see if the truck does it again when I start it up this evening after sitting in the parking lot in 60 degree weather all day. The only other thing I have noticed is I used to be able to get the lift pressure to drop to about 2 psi or even 1 easily if I really stepped on it, now I haven't been able to get it to go below 3 psi (I know lift pressures below 5 psi aren't good and plan to get an airdog system... but I'd like to get the hard start issue resolved.) What could possibly be causing the hard starts?

Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

yes you do need the airdog sooner than later..........do yerself a favor there bud

hard starting..................after a failed start you need to turn key off then back on to activate the grid heaters.......was ya doing it that way?

Old 01-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like the LP mine was doing the same thing and after I installed my gauges (christmas time) found that I too had low press so I replaced the LP under warranty until I can get a airdog in a month or so but after I put the new pump in pressures came up to norm and had no more problems with the hard start. So like whit said if you can gor for the air dog and you should be good to go.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:24 PM

Well just went out to start the truck and it fired right up. I have had temperatures in the 50's here today. Wait to start light went out quickly. The truck has been sitting about 6 hours. Lows are forecast 38 here tonight and I keep the truck in a garage so it's probably going to be about 45 in there. If I have a hard start in the morning, I will definitely know somethings wrong as it has started fine in those conditions before. I will probably order the airdog soon anyway. I hadn't been recycling the grid heater after failed starts, but I will do this on the next failed start. My lift pressure is at 10psi idle, so it could be this that is causing hard starts on cold mornings?? Could a failing VP44 also cause hard starts? When I just bump the starter to engage the lift pump psi is at 10 then quickly drops to 2 after it cycles off, shouldn't this hold up better?

Old 01-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldnt drive it again till you get the LP bec. if your getting below 5 it dont matter your running a really really high chance of burning up the VP and then the LP wont matter

Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes, a failing vp44 will cause hard cold weather starting. Pull your codes with the key and that will tell you a lot. The Haynes book give a brief synopsis of what each one means, I have the Chrysler tech manuals for the ram trucks (cost me about $100) that have a more indepth desription of the codes. I am about to do injectors too, but am pretty sure that mine starts a lot better now with a reman vp44. BTW do you get a lot of white smoke on hard start? are you getting lousy mileage?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

all i can say is welcome to diesel bombers as you can already tell this is a dam fine site to get help and find answers

Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by crazycooter
yes, a failing vp44 will cause hard cold weather starting. Pull your codes with the key and that will tell you a lot. The Haynes book give a brief synopsis of what each one means, I have the Chrysler tech manuals for the ram trucks (cost me about $100) that have a more indepth desription of the codes. I am about to do injectors too, but am pretty sure that mine starts a lot better now with a reman vp44. BTW do you get a lot of white smoke on hard start? are you getting lousy mileage?
not sure about mileage yet (haven't been having the problem long enough to know), how long would this white smoke last after starting?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having these same troubles with hard start in cold weather, however I do cycle my grid heaters each time and do keep the trucked plugged in during cold weather. I have the Air Dog lift pump and fuel pressure is maintained at 15 PSI, I am beginning to suspect my VP44, but will these pumps slowly fail? How can they? I would assume that they work or they don't but apparently partial failure is a possibility. Also no check engine light signals, will my truck throw codes when not indicating a problem? tb09 definately needs more fuel pressure than he is currently experiancing, but he had better not get his hopes up that this completly fixes his hard start condition.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

no they can slowly die overtime. id check the grid heater relay, it may not be working, if thats fine, try a new LP, autozone has the stock ones for 150 bucks if you cant afford an aftermarket system right now. if it still does it, id vote VP44

Quick Reply: Hard starts - Cold engine