24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

dont want to bother yall but need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dont want to bother yall but need some help

my 2001 3500 five speed died on me fri morning. died like some thing shut off the fuel. got it off of the road and no start. checked for full at the injectors nothing. went to parts store and rented scan tool and bought a new lift pump. codes were P0251,P0252,P1688 cleared codes installed new lift pump and tryed to start, nothing. read codes again P1688 was all it had.
Had a freind drag me home this morning and cracked all the injector lines now its running rough no throttle pedal. did the key on and off and got code P1693. My neibor doesnt think it is the injector pump but I do. is there any thing else that i am missing that could make this truck run. Keep in mind I just bought the truck 27 days ago and it was running fine. I know it needs guages that is on my list to install but they do no good to a none running truck.
thanks for the help

Old 12-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 108 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by bdcalderhead
my 2001 3500 five speed died on me fri morning. died like some thing shut off the fuel. got it off of the road and no start. checked for full at the injectors nothing. went to parts store and rented scan tool and bought a new lift pump. codes were P0251,P0252,P1688 cleared codes installed new lift pump and tryed to start, nothing. read codes again P1688 was all it had.
Had a freind drag me home this morning and cracked all the injector lines now its running rough no throttle pedal. did the key on and off and got code P1693. My neibor doesnt think it is the injector pump but I do. is there any thing else that i am missing that could make this truck run. Keep in mind I just bought the truck 27 days ago and it was running fine. I know it needs guages that is on my list to install but they do no good to a none running truck.
thanks for the help
P0251 (M) Fuel Inj. Pump Mech. Failure Fuel
Valve Feedback Circuit
Problem sensed with fuel circuit internal to fuel injection
pump.
P1688 (M) Internal Fuel Injection Pump
Controller Failure
Internal problem within the fuel injection pump. Low
power, engine derated, or engine stops.
It's most certainly the VP44 I'm afraid to have to tell you.
You can always check to make sure it's not the fuel relay that has gone bad by swapping it with the horn relay. Also check all fuses related to fuel system. If you are getting fuel to the VP44, but not to the injectors, a pump swap is most certainly in your future...

Old 12-20-2009, 03:20 PM

thats what i though fri night. if i put on a new injector pump do i have to reprogram the ecm?
I am used to working on 6.5t chevy diesel this truck is new to me hoped not to have this big of problem so soon

Old 12-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by bdcalderhead
thats what i though fri night. if i put on a new injector pump do i have to reprogram the ecm?
I am used to working on 6.5t chevy diesel this truck is new to me hoped not to have this big of problem so soon
No need for anything special when you replace the VP44, just make sure it has good fuel supply from that point on (fuel pressure gauge, Airdog, FASS or other aftermarket lift pump). It's not that difficult to swap and there are videos available on youtube that walk you through it pretty well. Good luck, and sorry to hear about your misfortune...

Last edited by mishkaya; 12-20-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

That video is AWSOMEEEEE!!!!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats the video that i used to replace mine.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i dont know where you live but thats what my truck is doing but its just cause its cold out and freezing up

Old 12-23-2009, 07:43 AM

ok update put in a nother vp44 truck runs great. some things to rember when trouble shooting. My truck in ohio's cold would not generate enough heat to bring the engine to full operating temp. they should be operating around 150-190 with 180 being ideal. second the turbo would not spool up untill higher rpms above 1800. thirdly fuel mileage was down only a couple of mile but a diffent differance. My problems could have been avoided if I had installed a fuel pressure gauge as soon as I bought the truck, if that had been done I would have picked up on the low fuel pressure problem and fixed it witch just might have saved my vp44.

thanks for all the help bombers

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I did watch the video it was well put togher good job juys

Last edited by bdcalderhead; 12-23-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Diesel Bomber

Glad to hear that you are back up and running!

Old 12-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just did my vp44 and definitely solved the problems, and also noticed the engine temp thing. Also I was told that on a stock system, I am assuming that to mean with a stock lifter, they will go out every 150k or so. I don't know how true that is, I got a combo package for $1400 of a vp44 and airdog 100. She runs good now I think.

Quick Reply: dont want to bother yall but need some help