24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

ABS and Brake Warning Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Default ABS and Brake Warning Lights

So I don't even have ABS, but the light was on, so was the Brake light on the cluster. Fluid was way low, topped it off and tested for leaks, but I can't see any drips, and each tire is clean and dry inside and out. I parked the truck over fresh snow and pumped the pedal a few dozen times, hopped out and no drips, puddles, nothing... Soooooo, I'm betting its a rear drum cylinder.

But, thought I'd ask, is the ABS light a clue to anything else? The truck has no options other than the diesel engine, 4wd, and A/C... No tilt, no cruise, no power anything, and no ABS. So why the heck would the light come on?

BTW, this came on after I was working all day, about 15* outside. It was fine this morning. I topped it off and it stayed on, drove home and while the brakes were a little squishy (need to be bled), they stopped fine, and it didn't seem like the pedal leaked down pressure. Although it is taking a long time for the pedal to return back to its up position, at least 3 seconds after you press it. Master cylinder possibly? Proportioning valve?

Anybody got ideas?

Old 12-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Probably ought to pull some diag codes out of that thing. Usually when you spin tires in the snow P0500 comes up and the ABS and brake lights come on, but they should go away with a couple key cycles. Sounds like you may have more issues going on though with the pedal acting a bit funny like that.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

check to see if you have the rear wheel speed sensor on top of the rear diff we changed it on our 97 dodge gasser and the abs and brake light went off