24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Dirty Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Dirty Injectors

What are the signs of a dirty injector? And do they need to be removed and phyically cleaned at some point? My truck has 178,000+ miles on it, pretty sure injectors and vavles never been touched.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i would pull them and soak the tips then physicly clean them then put back in and run some injector cleaner threw them a then also start running 2 stroke oil in your fuel 1 ounce per gal. just run them sep. it prolly aint a good idea to run cleaner and oil inthe mix of your fuel at the same time. i have roughly 177,ooo on myn and i just got done replacing myn bec. it was running wierd and i ran inj. cleaner threw several times and did nothing when i got them outta the truck they were dirty as all get out i had to take an sos pad to get them clean but i went ahead and replaced them.

Are you haveing problems with your truck that why you are asking these ?s

Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Low MPG, I been through just about everything else, they took a pretty sudden drop back in the summer and have not recovered. I hear we are in winter fuel now, but I just took a trip and dam if i didnt get over 17mpg freeway, no load flat land, 65mph. Just about anything left short of the whole engine is injectors and valves.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Diesel Wrench

well first off i would recomend you fill out your SIG so the guys can better diagnose what might be wrong with your truck it helps to know what you have done to it. so tell me bout your injection pump and lift pump are they new stock used what ya got it help

Old 12-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Haha my sig is pretty much filled out. Injection pump is stock. The motor is an HO motor. No codes, lift pump is an airdog 150.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Diesel Wrench

hummm well if the IP is stock that might be the problem there it might be weak really the only thing to do that i kinow of is clean the injectors you might wanna go have them pop tested if there clean and fine i would move to the fuel system. Also i have herd that when you get into the winter fuel you can loose mpg to but i aint so sure bout that wwhats your fuel pressure running is it staying above 10-12 psi maybe its your quad box i would check your injectors first tho then move to your IP if your fuel psi is ok also you might wanna change some fuel filters other than that i cant think of anything i will ask around and if i think of anything i will hit ya up

Old 12-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Okay I will clean the injectors, is there anyway to test the VP? I really dont want it dying out the middle of nowhere

Old 12-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Diesel Wrench

yea if you pull it out your local diesel shop can bench test it. i just replaced my vp about 3 weeks ago bec. i thought it went out. I put a newer one in and still couldnt get it to run come to find out it was a bad relay my vp was still weak tho and then after that i had to replace the injectors bec. they were bad or i had one bad any ways but im up and runnning again. But your fuel pressure is most important bec. if ya aint got that you aint got **** . but hell you might even wanna check into just buying ya some rv275 injectors they will give ya 40 hp and better fuel milage if i didnt have these stock injectors givin to me i would got some rv 275s but a buddy gave me some used stock ones after my vp by i was broke

Old 12-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yeah I dont know, I may just do new injectors and not even screw with the old ones. I am worried tho that the pump is dead. Prev owner had the wire tapped with the stock LP, so god knows what damage he did.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Diesel Wrench

oh yea thats prolly bad any box that requires you to tap the wire is going to produce more Hp than the stock lp can or should handle. if something happens i got a guy that can get ya a good deal on a vp i was low on cas and he got me one with 50k iles on it for 500 shipped and my truck has never ran better but he can hook you up with a new one to

Quick Reply: Dirty Injectors