24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Rear end rebuild time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Rear end rebuild time?

I have an 01 2500 4x4 with 160k. I changed all of the fluids when I bought it 50k ago. Over the last two weeks as I make sharp slow turns it feels like my rear end is binding. Almost like the front end when you lock in 4x4 and try to turn on pavement. Is it time for a rebuild or does anyone have any suggestions. I can do most work myself but I have very limited experience with axels.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:57 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Need a separate limited slip additive.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Diesel Bomber

what brand would you suggest? Also my old man says that I should change the gear oil and do figure 8s both forwards and backwards to unlock and re-lock each side.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your truck have a limited slip or locker? If not (which is the more likely scenario) then you probably have a problem with the spider gears in the differential. The spider gears allow your wheels to turn at different rates (as when you go around a corner). Without spider gears, your wheels would turn at the same speed all the time which is fine when you're going straight, but not so great when turning, especially sharp turns. If you've fragged a spider gear, driving it around could also damage the ring and pinion gear which would require a full rebuild, something that I think is best left to a shop with experience setting up gears. No way to tell the extent of the damage until you start digging into it.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Diesel Bomber

From what I gather I have the limited slip. I am going to go ahead and take off the differential cover on Monday when I get home (parked till then), change the fluid and check for shavings. Is there anything else I should look for when I open it up?

Old 12-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Diesel Fan

Sounds like a good place to start. If you have a LSD you definitely need to run the special lubricant designed for your LSD. These special lubricants keep the clutch plates of the LSD working the way they are supposed to. Even so, a certain amount of chatter from the clutch plates can be normal when cornering depending on the clutch preload of the LSD.

Also, your spider gears still interact with the LSD. What happens when you corner is some power gets transmitted through the spider gears to the side gears (like an open differential) and the remainder is transmitted by friction between the differential case and the clutch plates and the side gears. When the friction increases and clutch loading increases, you get transfer of power directly to the side gears. This action is dependent on the amount of clutch preload in the clutch plates of the LSD, which is supposed to be a static condition. If you have a high level of clutch preload, you get good torque transfer and chatter during cornering. If you have a low level of clutch preload, you'll get minimal chatter but you also have a reduced level of torque transfer and traction.

First step when troubleshooting any drivetrain problems is to eliminate the easiest and simplest possible problem. So start with the oil and really inspect the case, carrier, and ring gear for any problems. If everything looks good, fill it back up with oil and LSD lubricant and give it a go. Cross your fingers that you don't have to tear it apart again.

The following users liked this post:
01trailerpuller (12-14-2009)
Old 12-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So how do you know if you have a LSD or what you have for that matter

Old 12-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by NCFPD
So how do you know if you have a LSD or what you have for that matter
I've no experience with a limited slip diff on these trucks. I've played with selectables like the Ox locker and auto lockers like Detroits in my Jeepin days. You should be able to tell if you have an auto locker or a LSD just from driving it. Like I said earlier, if you don't know whether you have one or not, then you probably don't.

But you should also be able to tell if you have a LSD by chocking the front wheels, putting the rig in neutral, jack up the rear so that both tires are off the ground and spin one of the tires. If you have a LSD, the clutch packs should automatically kick in and resist the opposite turning motion that you would get from an open differential. In other words, both wheels will turn in the same direction when you spin one of them. If they spin in opposite directions, you have an open diff (or a non-functional LSD, unlike a true locker, they do wear out over time).

Old 12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ok well if i am making a 90degree turn and i get on it you can kinda feel the outter wheel drag a lil well like when its wet out and on gravel one wheel drags and when you burn them you get both wheels a spinning un like a regular truck when you only have 1 wheel spinning