24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Overhead compass/temp readout

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:26 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts
Default Overhead compass/temp readout

Fellas - I have an intermittant problem here. Sometimes it works, and sometimes I get a Ccd message on the display.

Im thinking its the sensor. I believe its somewhere by the grill at the front of the truck??? Has anyone had this? Can anyone confirm the location?

Old 12-04-2009, 02:32 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

If it's in the same spot as on the 3rd gens, it's on the bottom screw as seen in the pic.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:48 PM
BOMBARDIER

Really? I think the second gen one is different - but am not completely sure

Thanks Bill.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 12-04-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:19 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

No problem.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DrE, this might sound weird but how old are your batteries?

I was getting the CCd thing intermittently for a while and couldn't figure out what was going on with it. It wasn't throwing any codes and it didn't seem to affect performance of anything else. So I let it go as an annoyance and didn't worry about it. But I think it was related to the fact that my batteries were on the way out and I think that perhaps I wasn't getting the proper voltage. Basically, my overhead console started displaying CCd more frequently as my batteries continued to deteriorate. I replaced both batteries about six months ago and no more CCd on the overhead console. I thought it was a strange correlation so anyhow, figured I throw my 2 cents out there, especially if you aren't showing any error codes.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

it is on the driverside behind the bumper on a 2nd gen IIRC. best to get out there and look at if before the snow gets too thick.....

but i have to question myself, is there any reason to know that is it colder than 32* F 0*C if it is snowing outside?

Old 12-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 504 Likes on 412 Posts

I had a moisture problem once that made mine screw up. It came in through one of the clearance lights. Sealed it up and been fine since

Hey Doc your using optima Red's aren't ya?
I got nuthin as far as batteries just curious. If so how long have you had them in?

Old 12-04-2009, 05:17 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by Jolleyman
DrE, this might sound weird but how old are your batteries?

I was getting the CCd thing intermittently for a while and couldn't figure out what was going on with it. It wasn't throwing any codes and it didn't seem to affect performance of anything else. So I let it go as an annoyance and didn't worry about it. But I think it was related to the fact that my batteries were on the way out and I think that perhaps I wasn't getting the proper voltage. Basically, my overhead console started displaying CCd more frequently as my batteries continued to deteriorate. I replaced both batteries about six months ago and no more CCd on the overhead console. I thought it was a strange correlation so anyhow, figured I throw my 2 cents out there, especially if you aren't showing any error codes.
That is interesting - the batteries are only a year and a half old. Truck doesnt really start like it should. I may have to get them load tested. Dont buy batteries from Costco. Seem to be junk.

I have never had this before. Im hoping its just dirty inside the connector. I will have to check it out I guess.

Thanks !

Old 12-04-2009, 05:18 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by Jazz
I had a moisture problem once that made mine screw up. It came in through one of the clearance lights. Sealed it up and been fine since

Hey Doc your using optima Red's aren't ya?
I got nuthin as far as batteries just curious. If so how long have you had them in?
Thats also interesting.

No, this truck has Costco jobbies. Apparantely they are made by Johnston Controls - I wasnt impressed from the first time I cranked it over.

The Group 34/78 Red Top Optimas I have in my 12V have been great and havnt missed a beat. I highly recommend them.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
The Group 34/78 Red Top Optimas I have in my 12V have been great and havnt missed a beat. I highly recommend them.
I replaced my batteries with dual red top optimas.

Quick Reply: Overhead compass/temp readout