24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Shaking like Hell

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shaking like Hell

My 2001 Dodge Ram wobbles like hell around turns at about 50mph its annoying as well. The truck has new shocks new wheel bearings new track bar and sway bar endlinks and the ball joints dont have any play. Any one know what might be the problem. And also the truck eats right front tires. It wears the outside tread fast. I am out of options i had an alignment and everything, anyone with suggestions with what the hell is going on i would greatly appreciate it. Also would bad leaf springs do any of this. The wobble can also be felt throw the steering wheel as well as the whole damn truck. so annoying.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 108 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohunter
My 2001 Dodge Ram wobbles like hell around turns at about 50mph its annoying as well. The truck has new shocks new wheel bearings new track bar and sway bar endlinks and the ball joints dont have any play. Any one know what might be the problem. And also the truck eats right front tires. It wears the outside tread fast. I am out of options i had an alignment and everything, anyone with suggestions with what the hell is going on i would greatly appreciate it. Also would bad leaf springs do any of this. The wobble can also be felt throw the steering wheel as well as the whole damn truck. so annoying.
The steering damper is probably toast, and you control arm bushings could be shot as well. Doesn't explain the tire wear though. Also check the sway bar bushings as they affect things as well. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some more insight.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

thats wierd i will ask my tire guy if he might know. Not sure if its possible but maybe you bent something major like a steering nuckle or the hub assembly

Old 11-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Sound like the Dodge Death Wobble, I would look into the track bar, hub bearings or ball joints...

Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think he said he replaced all that but it deff sounds like thats the problem maye the tie rod is bent just a little and is causing it to flex while driving what ya need to do is wire tie a video camera up front and rec. it when it happens i did that with my jeep once

Old 11-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Totally missed all that...if you haven't looked at the ball joints I would look there...

Old 11-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

well tires being out of balance, whens the last time they were balanced.
what size tires. the larger the tire the more easily they will just become unbalanced. (more mass)
slowing down for turns. can help a bunch on keeping those shoes from wearing in the edges.(not that i would know )
steering dampener, shocks? i go thru shocks about 7-12 months. and dont get cheap ones either(another thing i know about)

i have done alot too to fix my steering/tire wearing. i just give up and deal with it now.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

if you get new ball joints get the adjustable ones to fix that tire wear problem

Old 11-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id agree with a lot that is posted so far and to add one I seen this problem with a bad pitman arm, its usuly from the hole getting walloed out, and some one turn your steering wheel w/ truck on the ground and turnd off wile you watch under neath for movement. also check (if 4x4)the collar on you 4x4 is not slighty locked in. jack up one of both front tires and turn them if the front drive shaft turns you have a problem if its a dana 60 or 70 with the air actuated shift fork. but its easy to fix

Old 11-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whearing the tires out could be wheel hub i beleave thats what there called

Quick Reply: Shaking like Hell