24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Has anyone had a Injection pump death code 216 and sill have a good pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had a Injection pump death code 216 and sill have a good pump?

Has anyone had a Injection pump death code 216 and sill have a good pump?

Truck ran like crap and a dead pedal with no power so i checked the codes even though engine light didn't come on. And it had the 216 code twice and some kind of boost code twice.

Later I noticed the turbo pipe to inter cooler came off on one end and was blowing air with oil on ground.

After attaching the pipe back the truck runs great even though oil is leaking in turbo.

Could the 216 code gone off because my turbo leaks oil into intake?
Does The 216 code mean Death for sure to the Injection pump?:humm

Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Have you cleared the code and it has come back now.

There are some other issues that could cause that code but more often then not it's a bad pump. It could also be a bad ground or a looses connection at the electrical pack plug. Anything that interrupts that flow of power at all can throw that code, so somethin as simple as a bad wire can even do it.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Yeah, its doubtful that a leaking turbo is gonna throw that code. You do however, need to get the turbo rebuilt at the mininuim, if you dont, it could cause the grid heaters to catch fire and then youre in for a bad day. It happened on my grandfathers truck last january, it was 12 below and even though it was plugged in and we let it warm up, the grid heaters still cycled as we were driving and they got so hot, it ignited the oil and we had a hell of a time. Luckly it went out as soon as the truck was shut off but it destroyed the grid heater and melted the intake.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Iv had the same 216 as you. took it to a shop to have the chrysler / dodge factory scan tool done and it came up with a apps coad that iv never gotten and iv used 3 different readers. so i replaced the apps and that helped a lot i would still get a dead pedal some times but it really was a lot better untill i had $$$ to do a new vp and lift pump system

Old 11-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

I had the 216 one time when it gelled up..................cleared it and it never came back

Old 11-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and actully drove that bad vp for allmost 8 mo at 1500 miles a month

Old 11-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

wow thats crazy hey if i were rebuild that turbo and then sell it take that money add it with more money and upgrade and *** for your vp and that code I am fo sure not the guy to talk to i just got done going threw a hellav a time with my fuel system