24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

what do i do or use to fix this

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default what do i do or use to fix this

Ok i have to replace my VP44 and i dont live any were near any diesel shop i was wondering and needing some ideas on what to use for that special tool to pull the gear in the front. Or do i even need it but i dont wanna drop that gear or any thing down into the cover on the front. what to do

Old 11-04-2009, 01:27 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

here is the way to change it out

VP44 Dodge Pump Installation Instructions

hope it helps i changed mine out last year there easy take it slow and make sure every thing is clean if you need any help pm me it goes to my phone and i can help yeah out

The following users liked this post:
Dr. Evil (11-04-2009)
Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I believe Diesel Dan (Previously from DPP) posted a how-to on youtube.

Ok here it is - and this should help - there are 11 vids in total (make sure you click on the link):

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 11-04-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:33 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

fairly simple job but buy a proper puller for them (IMO),they are pretty cheap but well worth the money

Old 11-04-2009, 08:17 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

The biggest tricks to installing the new pump is don't unbundle the injector lines, leave all the blue tabs in place and pull them as one piece. And when your lining the key way up check it every couple of turns of the wrench with the mirror. It will go in wrong and crunch that key way down and you won't know it till it's to late. Once it's done the pump is as good as junk. So check it often and be sure it's lined up right on the money.

Once you get in there you will find out that gear is no problem at all.

Where ya at in Calhoun County. If you get into a real problem I can probably take a road trip down to play at Pierre Marquette Park and swing through to help out.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Diesel Wrench

Heythanks guys i will be able to use all your help and unle bubba i am about 6 miles north of Hardin in michael hollar were bouts you be.

Yea i am still trying to find me a pump used possibly bec. my wifes car blew the motor like the day befor my truck pooped out and shes the only one workin so yea it sucks right now just trying to keep food on the table for the 3 kids

Old 11-04-2009, 12:30 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally from the Greenfield area but in Springfield now . We still make road trips down to play in the park once in a while though and if you get in a bind I can use that excuse for a road trip. I'm bettin you will do fine with it though, just go slow. It's easy to do, just have to pay attention to the details when tightening the front nut down.

Call Area Diesel Service over in Carlinville and see what they can do for you. They are an authorized Bosch rebuild center and may have somethin on hand to make ya a deal on. 1-800-637-2658

Old 11-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Diesel Wrench

Yea thats cool will deff. give them a call say im nervous bout doing it bec. i dont have the money to fix anything if i break it ,y other rpoblem is i dont have a bunch of tools just a craftsman socket set and some diff. typs of pliers. so i am kinda worried about that. but ill do what i can i guess

Old 11-04-2009, 01:10 PM
BOMBARDIER

Been a while since I've done one but I think that about all your gonna need other then an open end wrench to pull the injector lines and somethin to pull that little gear off. If need be you can run it into any gas station shop and have them pull it for a couple dollars I'm sure, it's a simple little thing to do. You can make one but it's cheaper to spend the 10 bucks and buy a little junk one. Most any parts shop will also rent ya one free, just make the deposit or just use it right there in the store.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Diesel Wrench

Yea i alled that place that ya gave me the number to and they wanted 1o25 for a rebuilt one witch is a good price but i just dont have the money i am working on one for like 600 from some one on here and i guess ill let ya know when i get one heck if you wanna make a trip some time let me know i could use the help hey i do have to say tha it is nice to have a fellow diesel guy on here that lives somewhat near my location . I also hve a new quadzilla add. and a raptor 150 lift pump on its way to

Quick Reply: what do i do or use to fix this