24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

head studs needed for quadzilla adrenaline w/ pulse? if not, than what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default head studs needed for quadzilla adrenaline w/ pulse? if not, than what?

ok my upgrades are in my signature. i purchased this from the previous owner like this, my questions to you guys is
1)do I need head studs for running the quadzilla adrenaline at max performance level?
2)Do I need to upgrade wastegate and get a boost fooler to get max performance and if so is this safe to do?
3)How much boost can I expect to make? I currently have no gauges other than stock so the quadzilla system with the pulse will add alot of gauges I don't have and need.
4)I was thinking about installing the airdog system at the same time. do I need this? injection pump is stock. Also, do I also need a hp lift pump too? kind of confused on that.
5)my overall desire is that the truck last as long as possible It has to! please let me know what the smartest way to do this is to make that a reality. it has 212k on it now. It is mostly a daily driver I do some towing and offroading though, and I admit I like to put my foot in it every once in a while on the street and freeway

thanks in advance guys.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

For a long life, get an airdog, you wanna protect that VP44. They are not cheap. Thats all I can offer up, others will pipe in

Old 10-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Aagh ok let me write everything again since it booted me out when I wrote the last one.

1. Head studs aren't a must but are needed when you get over 45psi boost. They shouldn't be needed now but in short, head studs are a cheap insurance policy for your truck.
2. Your truck shouldn't let you produce more power than what the truck can handle but thats not to say it can't happen. With a boost fooler you will be pushing more boost and HP so you have to be careful. Once the boost hits a higher point the stock intercooler boots will get pushed off which then will require intercooler boot upgrade. I wouldn't crank up the chip that high until you have head and main studs. You have the clutch upgrade so you will be fine there. Turbo upgrade may need to be upgraded as well.
3. With the boost fooler, chip, and stock turbo you should be close to 27-30 but don't quote me. You will need gauges with a chip! Pyrometer, Boost, I would suggest a transmission temperature, and a fuel pressure somewhere along the line. I would not suggest you put the chip on maximum and run it there for extended period of time without proper upgrades.
4. You definitely want an Airdog or FASS system. Get one before your stock lift pump fails and takes your VP44 with it. The Airdog and FASS systems are High Performance Lift Pumps. They make FASS without filters but you want one with filters in my opinion. Airdog is cheaper though, your choice. Do some research on the two. As long as your injection pump is still good it will supply enough fuel for your truck until you start getting into higher horse power numbers so don't worry about it.... yet.
5. 212k isn't really that bad and the engine is broken in. To make your engine and truck last as long as possible just take care of it. Oil changes, ball joints, u-joints, coolant, clean senors etc, etc, and if your transmission and differential oils haven't been changed in a long time, you may want to do that as well.

Be careful about putting the chip on max level until you have all necessary upgrades to handle the power and not break any other parts. To avoid downtime and cost, be smart. Research before you do something that may cost you an arm and a leg, of course we are here to help you as well. Let us know if you have more questions and good luck!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:55 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

airdog for sure. studs aint needed super bad with just a adren. but it never hurts to take the procaution.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:20 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

air dog for sure,the adr. works good, don't run mine on high very often ,set your boost with the pulse so you don't go over 35psi ,I have seen 40psi with my mods which are not many,then you shouldn't need studs right away but once you start bombing you will more then likely get the bug and need them eventually

Old 10-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Diesel Fan

awesome feed back guys! Thanks alot! Ok is there a write up or tech thresd for putting in head studs myself? Or is this something for the machine shop to do only? also, what are main studs?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Head studs keep the heads from lifting under high boost pressures. Main studs are inside the engine and also help keep the heads down under even more boost. You don't need main studs right now just head studs and you don't even really need those for a while but I would suggest it. Like I said earlier it's a cheap insurance policy.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by tdiezel
Head studs keep the heads from lifting under high boost pressures. Main studs are inside the engine and also help keep the heads down under even more boost. You don't need main studs right now just head studs and you don't even really need those for a while but I would suggest it. Like I said earlier it's a cheap insurance policy.
Is putting in head stud a difficult task? Can I do it myself or is this better suited for machine shop?

Old 10-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

you can do it yourself. get a bottom tap and do them one at a time

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by tdiezel
Am I missing something here, but aren't main studs clamping the mains in place which hold the crank. last time I checked you pull the head without pulling the crank out.

Last edited by 01quadcab; 10-14-2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Right! I knew i was missing something there. Sorry about the incorrect info. I learned something new .

Quick Reply: head studs needed for quadzilla adrenaline w/ pulse? if not, than what?