24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

more questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default more questions

Ok theres been alot of descusion about this crankcase breather thing that is on the front of the 5.9 notor i have a 98.5 24v and my 5.9 dont have this breather on the front it looks like a removable cap is that normal or is it somthing that the lat owner put on it is nothing noticable it sits almost flush with the timing cover i wasnt sure if it was somthing from factory or after market

Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

if you can get a pic, it would help, but it sounds like you're missing the bottle...there's a cap that sits on top of the bottle...if you're missing the bottle, then you're probably dumping blowby straight out of the engine into your fan and radiator...check out this thread, it talks about a fix for it...I might try it myself here soon...
https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-2...vent-bomb.html

Old 10-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Diesel Wrench

Na but thats the thing there is no bottle there the whole thats in the timing cover where the bottle goes is got a looks like and inch or 2 cap that has been pressed in there and my engine is clean as a wissel i will try to get pics tomm

Old 10-13-2009, 07:52 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

that is a oil filler hole that was on the 98 and older models not sure if the 24 valves ever come with them or just the breather I have a 98 12 valve here with a filler like you are describing but my 99 24v has the breather do you have the oil filler hole in your valve cover?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Diesel Wrench

na theres nothing in the valve cover sept the oil fill cap

Old 10-13-2009, 08:37 PM
BOMBARDIER

that is the cap I was talking about on the valve cover,I would guess that the previous owner put it on to get rid of the oil breather vent that spews oil over the font of the truck,do you have any oil leaks due to crank case pressure? just wondering where the pressure is relieving itself

Old 10-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Diesel Wrench

No not that i know of i do have a tub thats about half inch i think that is in the back on driver side it runs between the starter and block up to some were around the map sensor then i cant see it any more not sue what that is but i think theres a little oil that comes from it bec. i have oil from that tube back but i havnt been able to actually pin point the leak bec. oil is only in the back areas and i havnt lost any oil when i check it

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

you know i aint ure if this is normal i have never had any problems but my oil press. runs from the middle of the guage at idle and when driving it runs about 3/4 way up the gauge but it never hits the last mark

Last edited by NCFPD; 10-13-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 PM
BOMBARDIER

sound like the po added the tube at the back to replace the front vent which is a good idea might do that to mine because my front vent in the cover is cracked and leaks oil and is making a mess all over my engine,if you get a chance can you take a picture for me to see how it was done

Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Diesel Wrench

yea i can try to get the pic but see it goes up to the top of the motor and once you get up above the map sens. you cant se it any more im not sure of were it goes to is there any were i can get a good colored pic of the driver side of the motor like on a stand and did you see my thing bout the oil press. gauge and were it runs

Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 PM
BOMBARDIER

my guauge runs around the same about 1/2 way at idle and a little higher when driving (when it is working,have a bad connection when wet) you don't want it at the very top there would be too much pressure

Quick Reply: more questions