24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Time to spend some money

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Time to spend some money

I finally got the o.k. to spend a little coin on the cummins so I need some opinons. Right now I am looking for more power and better MPG's. My truck is stock form with a stock lift pump but I keep an eye on the pressure gauge constantly. I would like to get a tuner and possibly some sort of air intake, have a dynomax exhaust already. As far as air intake I heard a good filter is all you need, not a whole system, Any and all opinions are welcome and thanked in advance

Old 10-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

1st get a fass, airdog, raptor lift pump. You will need it

once you do that a edge comp as I believe you already have gauges, or quad adrenaline

now what about your trans? if an auto your going to need to upgrade that or the added power will kill it.

air intake do a bhaf setup they are cheap.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

x2 on the tranny needing to be upgraded. I literally fried mine with an Edge EZ, that's it.

Unfortunately there are a few things on the 2nd gen were poorly designed for aftermarket modifications. The auto tranny and lift pump are two big ones. Assuming you already have gauges, first you will probably want to swap the lift pump out and then be keeping an eye out for a new auto tranny once you start the performance mods.

One of the cheapest air filter mods you can do is the BHAF and home made heat shield.

are you looking to build a future hauling machine? or just beef it up a bit to get better mileage (and stop that punk at the end of the street from teasing your stock truck)?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Just beefin her up, no heavy haulin in my future, would a good shift kit help keep my tranny together long enough? Not looking to drive the hell out of it untill I can afford more upgrades, but I dont want to buy things like a tuner twice to get a good one.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 24v

Dear Friend- on my 24v - since mileage and power are my friends too - I think the best mod so far was the FASS pump 150- but you will end up changing filters more often (they seem to filter better) and you will need to drain the water off regularily (I save the diesel laden water for cleaning my tools really works and then dont dump into environment). It is amazing how much quicker it starts with the FASS. But then maybe as good is propane injection- similiar or better power gain and almost 20% better highway mileage. Easy to put on and works very well and cheap. I have performance boxes too - but usually (at least 90%) have them turned on lowest setting for the timing only and use it for mileage and power - Was it worth $700 bucks? Only you can decide. Play too much on higher settings and you'll end up with a new transmission for $4000+. Stick to mild mods until tranny upgraded and if hot rodding - remember 2nd 3rd and 4th gear put a lot less stress on tranny while hot rodding especially on your input shaft (weak link) so rod it after the shift if you can help it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Shift kit - no -pain to put in and little gain valve body much better more results and easier to install IN VEHICLE

Last edited by mxtuner1; 10-02-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost