24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

she runs a little funny, I think....

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default she runs a little funny, I think....

sometimes she starts running a little bit groggy, and starts blowing grey smoke, and revs really slowly, and not past 2000 rpms. All gets better if I turn off the ignition and turn it back on, then she takes off like a shot. I put a better fuel pump in her, and have not had a chance to clear the codes since tinkering, But i think I am going to pay a visit to that crappy parts place tomorrow because they with run a scan tool on her for free...

She does scare me a little, I pulled codes the other day(I've had her less than a week) and she flashed that one that says something about a ip timing issue? I hope that is a history code due to an intermitant lift pump, but it is hard to say at the moment.

Any advice would be helpful at this point. I am new to owning a cummins.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Replace your Fuel Filter . Get a fuel pressure gauge

Old 09-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

x2 for the filter... instead of turning the key off, let the truck idel down or fall down to 1200-1500 rpms and see if it takes off like a bat out of hell and then falls on its face again... that'll pretty much make it a deffinate lack of fuel

Old 09-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Changed filters, as the stock is bypassed, regulated the fuel pressure to 20 psi @ idle, and it drops to about 12psi at wot still grey smoke and she hesitated to get past 2000 rpm. turned the key off, and back on before the engine died, and she quit hesitating. Still am worried about that ip thanks to all that I have read about it, it almost sounds like they let Ford design it. Is there any surefire way to check the ip?

Old 09-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Sure way to check the VP is to replace it....

Ford designed it LMAO

Old 09-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends on where your at. For example, I live in lauderhill and there is a place called everglades diesel. I had to replace my IP and they offered to test it for me prior to me purchasing one. They have some crazy Bosch machine to program the electronics and calibrate the re-built IP's. I knew mine was shot, so I did not bother until I returned them my core. The only thing is that I would have to remove it in order for them to test it.

Maybe you might have a place like that near you, if you wanted to go that route.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:02 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

glad to know that it is just so simple to find out if that is the problem or not... Now I am convinced that Bosch hired FoMoCo to design it. I guess it is a good thing I didn't pay too much for the truck, I can afford to fix it a little bit. Actually I bought it with a spare motor that should have a good ip on it, so that should work out fine.

Is there someone who can rebuild that ip for not too much money? you know how having a spare is probably not a bad Idea

Old 10-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had similar problems with my 08 6.7L.

Its completely stock with the exception for an AEM intake and filter.

One day I had left the truck idling for about 5 minutes and when I came back to it, it was at a high idle. I pulled out on the road and it felt like I was towing a house behind me. I couldnt get the rpm's over 1700 or so. I noticed that if I floored it, it felt like it would lose power, but also like the exhaust was completely blocked off and the engine would start to bog down. I also noticed would floor it, that white/grey smoke would start rolling out from underneath. When I came to a stop light, the engine dropped down to about 50 rpm's (yes, fifty) and then it would race up to 1500 or so and kept repeating this cycle till I pulled through the intersection. Got back moving down the road and I put it in 3rd and slowly brought up the engine speed and got a regen message. (BTW, this is the first time I have seen the regen message in the 14 months I have owned the truck) I kept the engine speed up for a good while and got a regen complete message in about 3 or 4 minutes.

Now the truck seems to be running fine, however now I am spewing out black smoke of the exhaust.

I have a CEL but havent had a chance to take it in. But, like I said, its running like a champ.

I dont know what in the hell to do about it.