24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Need some help....Omaha, NE

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help....Omaha, NE

I've got some issues with my truck and I'm trying to narrow down the actual problems. Therefore I'd like to see if there is anyone from Omaha that would be able to take some time in a couple of weeks to stop by my house and ride/drive my truck to see/experience the truck to help me diagnosis the issues.

My truck has an 275 injectors put in along with an Edge EZ put in for Mods, along with some type of Boost fooler. It does have guages put in (Pyro, Boost, Fuel Pressure).

Symptoms:
1) At times when trying to start the truck when the back end is lower than the front, it seems that it is losing the fuel and has to prime again before it starts.
2) The power isn't there when first starting out - when putting the small pedal down, it doesn't respond very well and seems like it's lacking fuel. Eventually this goes away.
3) Fuel pressure is all over the board. Last night I moved the truck into the driveway and just to see what the pressure would be, I did the quick crank to get the pump to run the long 30 seconds - it jumped up to 14psi. The last week when driving, it would be around 10psi with some power put in, but not much - most of the time it would be around 5-7psi and drop down to zero.

There are some codes thrown - a 1693 and some 400 number which I cannot remember what it is at this time and I'm not near the truck at the moment. I think it was like a 483 or something like that, but not for sure. I've read that Autozone will read the codes for you - I'm thinking that the 1693 is due to the Edge EZ, but not for sure.

I haven't replaced the fuel filter - I doubt that is the issue. I'm thinking that the Lift pump needs to be replaced/bypassed with another system. At this point, I'm leaning towards the Airdog system. I'm really hoping that the VP44 isn't the problem, but thinking might be a part of it.

So - I'm really hoping that there is someone out there that could take some time on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon to stop by and ride along for a bit to help me figure out the issues with my truck.

Michael

Old 09-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by schu777
I've got some issues with my truck and I'm trying to narrow down the actual problems. Therefore I'd like to see if there is anyone from Omaha that would be able to take some time in a couple of weeks to stop by my house and ride/drive my truck to see/experience the truck to help me diagnosis the issues.

My truck has an 275 injectors put in along with an Edge EZ put in for Mods, along with some type of Boost fooler. It does have guages put in (Pyro, Boost, Fuel Pressure).

The EZ is a boost fooler , do you also have the Anti Defueling Device connected to your MAP ?

Symptoms:
1) At times when trying to start the truck when the back end is lower than the front, it seems that it is losing the fuel and has to prime again before it starts.

You are losing fuel because your lift pump is dead, ie. gravity

2) The power isn't there when first starting out - when putting the small pedal down, it doesn't respond very well and seems like it's lacking fuel. Eventually this goes away.

your lift pump is dead

3) Fuel pressure is all over the board. Last night I moved the truck into the driveway and just to see what the pressure would be, I did the quick crank to get the pump to run the long 30 seconds - it jumped up to 14psi. The last week when driving, it would be around 10psi with some power put in, but not much - most of the time it would be around 5-7psi and drop down to zero.

where are you reading your fuel pressure from? Do you have an isolater ? mechanical or electronic gauge?

There are some codes thrown - a 1693 and some 400 number which I cannot remember what it is at this time and I'm not near the truck at the moment. I think it was like a 483 or something like that, but not for sure. I've read that Autozone will read the codes for you - I'm thinking that the 1693 is due to the Edge EZ, but not for sure.

1693 is called a companion code it just means you have other codes

I haven't replaced the fuel filter - I doubt that is the issue. I'm thinking that the Lift pump needs to be replaced/bypassed with another system. At this point, I'm leaning towards the Airdog system. I'm really hoping that the VP44 isn't the problem, but thinking might be a part of it.

AIR DOG all the way , you better hurry or you will kill your injection pump by starving it for fuel , i would not drive your truck in this state

So - I'm really hoping that there is someone out there that could take some time on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon to stop by and ride along for a bit to help me figure out the issues with my truck.

Michael
My comments in red , this isnt a crap shot this is facts

Old 09-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Lift pump is dead run do not walk to your local sponsor on this site a get a great deal on a lift pump.Put that on and most of the problems will go away.Bigger injectors and a stock lift pump not good combo.Put Airdog on it!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay - I've put out a Price Request out there...hopefully I'll get something by the Monday so I can decide who to order from. I'm fairly confident that I can install this beast myself, only real question I have is for my Fuel Pressure gauge, which is mechanical by the way and I think if I remember correctly (it’s been 6 years since I put it in) it was installed with a banjo bolt on the output of the stock pump or after the fuel filter – can’t remember and haven’t taken the time to look into the truck. Of my research on the web, it looks like there might be a port on the Airdog that I can put into? Or would it be better to find out what I’ve got for a connection and then get something to work at the injector pump?

Michael

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Okay - I've gotten some quotes already - price is part of the puzzle, yet service is also part of the puzzle - price is easy to figure out, but the service isn't - is there a forum that lists reviews of different sponsors and such?

Last edited by schu777; 09-17-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

ALL sponsors are good people on here.The price for the lift pump will be the same because of the warranty both are life time airdog or fass. I deal with Diesel Dawgs Performance- Diesel Performance Parts, Cummins, Duramax, Powerstroke, High Performance Diesels,) but that is me never had any problems with him.Called him on a sunday one time and he anwsered the phone and answered some of my ? . No forum needed on here everybody wants to give there best service peroid.No worrys this is not e-bay.The lift pump install is about 5 to 8 hours depends on your skill.A friend to help will be great.There is a 90 degree fitting that Diesel Dawgs Performance- Diesel Performance Parts, Cummins, Duramax, Powerstroke, High Performance Diesels, so you can use your fuel pressure gauge or you can run a line from the lift pump location.If you want I can take some pics of mine if you are still unsure or want some ideas.There is a install on here with both airdog and fass you have to do a search.

Last edited by turbo20psi; 09-17-2009 at 09:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Diesel Dawgs Performance (09-17-2009)
Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

All the sponsors here are screened , staff is too busy to deal with poor service from the sponsors , we have declined multiple sponsorships.

Same goes for current sponsors if service falls off they will not be invited to renew there sponsorship.

This saves a headache for everyone and ensures we obtain the "cream of the crop" , as well it fulfills our obligations to the community here.

Air Dog is the exclusive Fuel Pump of Diesel Bombers and come recommended to you with the highest of regards