24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

2001 2500 Woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 2001 2500 Woes

Hey guys, I'm a newbie to DieselBombers. Texas college kid drivin an 01 2500 6spd. diesel. basically its all stock. these last couple of weeks its been givin me hell: the turbo's actin up, makin weird screech when it's spoolin up. also, it doesn't always wanna start when i crank it. it'll turn but won't fire the first, or second time i turn it. could somebody please help me, i really don't wanna lose this pickup to some fixable thing. o fyi, its got 559,049 mi. thanks yall.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

As far as the turbo noise, not sure...the cranking could be the starter contacts. Chances are with that mileage, you may be due for some new contacts.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the noise check your exhaust manifold for cracks, as for the starting issue could be a lot of things most likely fuel related , check for codes if you got a scanner and we can go from there,wow thats a lot of miles !!!

Old 09-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

alright thanks guys. anyone know where i can find a good shop? im in stephenville, texas round a hundred miles south of DFW

Old 09-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well bud do you have any gauges? If not get a fuel pressure gauge, it sounds like you could have a fuel pressure drop causing hard start. Fuel pressure on these VP44 trucks need to be watched closely. On the turbo pull off the intake tube going to the turbo and see if the wheel has gotten into turbo casting, if so you will need a new one. Also check your play by pushing on the turbo shaft to the left and right side and and in and out if you can make it touch replace it. And welcome to DB!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

haven't gotten any gauges yet, but i'm workin for them. it doesn't look like it's gotten into the casting, but i'll check again. if i do need another turbo, would a HX40 be good? i haven't been able to find any in the boneyards round here, but i found this on on ebay for bout $150. sound good or should i stick w/HX35?

Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

Stay away from the HX40 on an otherwise stock truck. You need way too much fuel to make one of those spin properly. Far too much lag.

Getting a modified HX35, Super B, Super B special or even an S300 hybrid will be great.

With this truck having 500K miles on it though I'd have to ask what records you have for it? Have the valves been done? Are there any aftermarket bits on the block like a manifold or an intake? What about intercooler boots?

If you can, do a search on here for the various build lists and start thinking about what you want to spend and what you want to do with the truck. In any case you will need some kind of gauge set up. I say go with ISSPRO but you can check with the sponsors on that one.

Starter contacts are cheap and easy to replace. Cummins makes a kit for that but the Dodge dealer won't sell it to you. You need to get these parts from a truck shop. After that, a real lift pump, some general maintanence and maybe even the need for a VP44 injection pump. Either way, you may be in for some sticker shock. If you have some space and are handy with tools, save some serious cash and get a basic set of mechanic hand tools plus a few others and buy the goods yourself. There are enough guys here (including me) that can step you through the re/re with their eyes closed so if you are up for it that will save you some real $$ and get you intimit knowledge of your truck too.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

as far as i know, the entire pickup is bone stock. we had some issues w/ps, but got that fixed. as far as valves, boots, intake/manifold, they are stock, but i'm workin to get some. i know i need gauges, that's also a work in progress. i'm pretty limited in the financial dept., college really sucks you dry & work/study doesn't pay top wages, but o well. i would like to get to know my pickup more but due to classes, i only get weekends to tinker with it.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

Only weekends to tinker? WTF? I wish. Try looking after horses, dogs, a long honey do list, renovations, being a construction manager, night school and oh yeah a truck that needs some "help"... If I get to something inside a month I'm usually good.

You will find the time when it needs to get done. That said, don't spend money on things you want now versus need now. Big difference and potentially a costly mistake.

Stick around here, you'll do fine.

Cheers.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah i have to look after my animals too, but i'm just sayin, with homework, work, school, projects, labs... it adds up quick. i'm really focusing on what NEEDS to be done, sfter all, i'm not lookin to build a hp/torque monster, only tryin to keep it reliable for work an school. we run s few dozen cattle, pecan orchard and whatever haulin that needs to be done, an the occasional trip to mexico for my dad, so yeah, i want to make it as reliable as possible. its done pretty good til now, turbo/exhaust manifold is only second "big" thing to happen, so i'm pretty lucky i guess.

Quick Reply: 2001 2500 Woes