24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

hesitation @ 40mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitation @ 40mph

i have a '01 cummins with an automatic, no mods, and there is a slight hesitation/ stumble at about 1400rpms/ 40 mph (partial throttle). it doesn't do it all the time. other than that it runs normal. no loss of power across the board, only at that slow creep up a slight grade. i can accelerate out of the hesitation if i apply more throttle. trans shifts great no problems there and the truck has 74,000 miles, so not too sure when the last fuel filter change was. could it be my filter? hell i'll change it anyways. has anyone experienced this? thanks

Old 08-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did experience this once...i changed the fuel filter and started adding 2 stroke oil in the fule tank to lubricate the fuel system a little bit. id start there for sure, and by the way 74,000 miles is great! is it your daily driver???

Old 08-23-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by redneckcummins85
i did experience this once...i changed the fuel filter and started adding 2 stroke oil in the fule tank to lubricate the fuel system a little bit. id start there for sure, and by the way 74,000 miles is great! is it your daily driver???
thanks man will do! actually i just bought the truck a little over a month ago. they guy lived like 4 miles away from his job and really took care of the truck.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For sure start with the filter. If that dont work check your fuel lines and injector lines for leaks. If none of that works it could be the lift pump startin to go bad.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

If it is under light throttle you might want to change the two different noids inside the tranny. For the life of me, I canot remember the name. I am thinking if you can accelerate out of it, fuel may not be the issue. Mind did this, it lead into the TC locking and unlocking. I cleaned all the grounds and then did a little mod from suncoast that had me cut a wire from the apps and run both ends to the negative battery terminal.... solved the issue.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 PM

changed filter today and it's still doing it. it seems to be doing it only in O/D. same rpm, same mph. kinda wierd... hey oudive what little mod are you talking about? also no check engine light or codes...btw, the trans shifts great, no slips, no hard shifting or gear searching...WTF!!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Default Hesitation @40mph

Click here and then click on download for the pdf

I could be wrong, just sounds like something I went through and this is what got me back on point.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by oudive
Click here and then click on download for the pdf

I could be wrong, just sounds like something I went through and this is what got me back on point.
man that's exactly what i did earlier except i didn't leave the batteries off for 15 minutes and it worked! we'll just have to see how long until it happens again. so is a noise filter the permanent fix? or will the re-wire be reliable? all i know is that i'm happy my truck runs smooth again thanks!

Last edited by dayne808; 08-25-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

So far mine has had zero issues for me with this re-wire from suncoast. Before it would do it off and on and then it seemed to be worse if it was rainy weather outside. So far rain or shine, no issues.

The following users liked this post:
dayne808 (08-25-2009)