24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Cant start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cant start?

Hello does any body know why my truck doesn't start I was driveing out of my drive way when my truck suddenly started to shake and started to lose power and then it just died then I tried to start it back on and it did for like 10 seconds shaking a lot and then it when dead again and now it wont start does any body have any idea what could this be?
Thanks!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

when's the last time you changed the fuel filter, and it could be out of fuel if you have a bad fuel gauge, those would be the first 2 things i look at

Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Just about impossible for us to help you - we need details about your truck....

What other symptoms do you have?

How old are your batteries?

Do you have access to a scanner?

Are there any performance mods on your truck?

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 06-08-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Default Well this is what I got.

The batteries are almost new and I dont have access to a scanner I dont have any performance mods . About a week ago I replaced the power steering pump because it had a big leak also I replaced it because there was a noise that I couldn't figure out it sound like almost the turbo whistle but it was more like a continues beep it always started after a while of driveing it thinking that this was going to fix it but it didn't . But then I found this website and I read about boost leak and I took of the boots and the clamps to watch for holes or bad clamps and there were fine so I cleaned them because they had some grease, put them back together and the noise stop that happen about seven days ago there wasn't any codes it just to start right up no smoke the fuel gauges work fine I even drove it right before this happen about 20 miles left it parked for about two hours I got on it turned it on drove it for about 10 yards and it just started shaking real bad and went dead then I tried starting it up again and it did for about 4 seconds but it was shaking really bad then it died again and from there it wont start at all . The only other thing I could think of is that I did left the truck almost go out of fuel but that happen about a week ago and I have filled it up twice since then thats all I could think of I hope I have provide all the information. Thanks

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Just about impossible for us to help you - we need details about your truck....

What other symptoms do you have?

How old are your batteries?

Do you have access to a scanner?

Are there any performance mods on your truck?

The following users liked this post:
Dr. Evil (06-09-2009)
Old 06-09-2009, 01:36 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

could you tell if the truck was missing, i guess my question is was it the engine shaking the truck??? It almost sounds to me like maybe the Torque Converter is staying locked...is it an auto??

Old 06-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm thinking a miss or a fuel filter / pickup pump issue,

I would change the fuel filter first, to see if maybe you picked up some sludge off the bottom of the tank, Don't forget to bleed the feed supply line to the pressure pump..

and more info would help,

Year,
Trans,
Mileage !

Let us know ! every one is bound to pitch in .02 $ !

Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

The truck wasn't missing at all and I have changed the fuel filter already and I did bleed the feed supply line ,the engine wasn't shaking the truck it was like as if it was choking like if it was running out of gas. The truck is a 2000 dodge ram 2500 4x4 5 speed manual transmission it has 143000 miles on it . It does have a K&N filter the OEM kind not the cold air . One other thing after I try starting it there is a sound like a buss coming out of the brake reservoir stays on for a few seconds. Could it be the lift pump ?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Yes it could be the lift pump.

How much fuel did you put in? Id say you need 10 gallons minimum.

You scanned the truck with a scanned and there were no codes?

You might need to check fuel pressure.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about cracking open the first injector and just turning the key to on and priming the system to see if there is fuel all the way up past the injector. I had the same problem awhile back and turned out to be the fuel guage but you could be having an issue with the lift pump or something. Check to make sure there is fuel in the first line

Old 06-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I did put about 20 gallons .
How can I check the fuel pressure?

Quick Reply: Cant start?