24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Knows its got to be easy fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knows its got to be easy fix

I have a 2001 cummings HO. And one day on the way home started to not make boost. I have a chip and a cold air intake, strait 4" exhaust. With the chip on the truck feels like it is less than stock. With out the chip the boost does not come up like I think it should. I have cycled the key three times and its comming up the a code of "P1693 Turbo Charge Control Circuit Malfunction". What is this how can I fix it.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:24 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

You need to scan it - P1693 is a companion code and it has nothing to do with the turbo.

The key on/off trick isnt even worth the time it takes to do it. You need to have an OBDII scanner or Smarty at your disposal. I bet you see P0216 but thats just a hunch.

That being said, have you noticed any black smoke? With no boost I would be looking for a hole in one of you intercooler boots (or maybe a loose clamp).

Oh, and BTW - theres no CumminGs - its a CUMMINS.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 06-05-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

is your service engine light on?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Default just want my power back

thanks for all the help I will try the OBDII scanner and see what that turns up. No there is no black smoke only smoke is when I have the chip hooked up. And thats only when its working right. Any other time the truck is being defueled and has no boost. Thanks I know that "Cummins" is spelled with no "G's" my fingers got away from me........ no there is no "service engine light" on. Also where can I find a ajustable boost elbow for the same truck

Old 06-06-2009, 02:25 AM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by ITSNOTONFIRE
thanks for all the help I will try the OBDII scanner and see what that turns up. No there is no black smoke only smoke is when I have the chip hooked up. And thats only when its working right. Any other time the truck is being defueled and has no boost. Thanks I know that "Cummins" is spelled with no "G's" my fingers got away from me........ no there is no "service engine light" on. Also where can I find a ajustable boost elbow for the same truck
It will be interesting to see what you find. You can probably just swing by autozone and borrow their scanner if they still offer that.

You can get an adjustable boost elbow from ANY performance diesel parts place. Any one of our Sponsors should have them as well.

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:27 AM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by torquey
...It was just a guess

Old 06-06-2009, 02:07 PM

thanks again for all the help will let ya know just as soon as I find out so yall can help anyone else out with the same prob

Old 06-07-2009, 06:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Bud, love the screen name LOL! Hey when you say "Chip" which performance box do you have? Does it use a map sensor connection to work? Does it tap the VP44? The P1693 code is a companion code which sits inside the ecm that does not clear itself after another code has been present ... . even for less than half a second. The Turbo control circuit on an 01 simply does not exist.

What boost readings are you seeing? What shape is your trans in? (I.E can you confirm you have lockup trans issues can feel like performance issues) what other readings can you give us? (EGT, Fuel press .. etc) Sorry to hit you with more questions than you first asked but to nail it ..... we need a hammer

Old 06-07-2009, 08:58 AM

In first gear the boost is 10psi then other gears after that it get more all the way up to 22psi stock that is with no chip. Yes it plugs into the map senser to work. Well I have been pulling some big loads this week and it seems to be ok but do think that maybe I might need a new clutch. Only reason why is a couple of mouth ago it started shaking at 55 with a load on it. And no I do no have a fuel press geuge (need one tho) EGT are not nothen that is above or below norm. Ya I know you need a hammer I just hope its something easy (I.E clutch, waste gate, or a loose hose) just dont want it to be fuel pump. Done that on my older cummins dont want to do it again. Thanks again for you tim to look at this. Just sitting here

Quick Reply: Knows its got to be easy fix