24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

24V Injector Problem?? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24V Injector Problem?? HELP!!!

Hey All,

I have been lurking here for a while and have a problem that I can not find an answer to. I have a 02 Dodge 5.9 w/ 4 in exhaust, AFE air, new Raptor 150, new VP44, new TPS, Superchips programmer (set at Performance tow) and running 15 lbs. of fuel pressure. 140k on the truck.

I am getting a surge (power) slight but noticeable, when I am holding the throttle while driving. If I set the cruise it goes away. I just replaced the Raptor and VP44 and I still have a problem and my fuel mileage is getting worse. I am thinking that I possibly have an injector not spraying or dripping and I am working on 5 cylinders at times. I am taking a heat gun test to it soon. Am I missing something? Can this be an Injector? I need help.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you thrown a set of stockers at it? I had a EDM crack on me and YOU KNOW when you drop a cyl! It isn't a "surge" but a smokey, shuddering experience. Is it a surge like the Torque Converter locking/unlocking? I am willing to bet it is (at speeds above 40 steady) either Loc/Noloc of the T/C OR an intercooler/Connect hose issue.

On flat fine, add a little load and surge but then boost bleeds off... a slight leak can drive you nuts as it will let boost bleed down with steady throttle. Lay into it and back off and you have a reserve until you bleed down to match output. I split my IC out in Muncie and had driving it a "New" way mastered after the 16 hr trip LOL.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:13 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

When I replaced my injectors I had one that was completely closed off so I was runnin on 5 injectors. Ya know, with the power that these trucks made I never had a clue. It ran right and had the power it needed just the same with no extra smoke.

So I would suggest at least pullin the injectors and having them pop tested. It's an easy job and only cost a few bucks to test them. My local injector shop here will test em for free.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks Fellas,

I think I will do the pop test. I am not blowing any white smoke, just a little black till I get boost. I may do some Stage I 40 hp injectors if it is the case of a bad one! I hope heat test also shows something!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Try removing the Superchips and see if that makes any difference.

Luke

Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

I had a superchip the was on the truck when I got it atleast I think thats what was on it. It would surge and do weird things at times on me. I just had the computer flashed and updated now my truck runs better and the juice with attitude works better too. I have a set of 40hp bosh injectors rebuilt with 1k-1500 on them that I am trying to sell. Sell the for cost of rebuilt 245 shipped to you. the were built and pop tested

Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Diesel Fan

I tried to un-install Superchip tuner. No Luck, I get bad vin or wrong application! The chip makes a funny cherp which it has never done before. I called Superchip and asked Tech what was up. I checked voltage while on the phone and I was 12.5 and still nothing. I then was told to wait for engineer. Looks like I will be sending it in and getting a new chip. They said that I the new parts I have put on may effect how the chip reacts to fuel calibration and pressure!?!!? I don't know what that means but, this surge is going to drive me crazy.

01quadcab, I may be interested in those injectors at the end of this if they are still for sale! How tuff are they to install?

I will keep posting and thanks everyone for the help!!

JT

Old 04-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm betting its the tuner... My Quad XZT did it for a little while when I first put it on, but its since cleared up on its own. Tuners and chips do funny things at low power levels sometimes.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by SMITTYJT
I tried to un-install Superchip tuner. No Luck, I get bad vin or wrong application! The chip makes a funny cherp which it has never done before. I called Superchip and asked Tech what was up. I checked voltage while on the phone and I was 12.5 and still nothing. I then was told to wait for engineer. Looks like I will be sending it in and getting a new chip. They said that I the new parts I have put on may effect how the chip reacts to fuel calibration and pressure!?!!? I don't know what that means but, this surge is going to drive me crazy.

01quadcab, I may be interested in those injectors at the end of this if they are still for sale! How tuff are they to install?

I will keep posting and thanks everyone for the help!!

JT
just let me know I am saving up to add a bottom turbo to my setup. They are not that bad to install. 2 hrs for your first time I would say

Old 04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a buddy had a super chips that did the same thing we took it off and ran fine, sent it back and hte tuner itself was corrupt.

Quick Reply: 24V Injector Problem?? HELP!!!