24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

new vp44 lift pump gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new vp44 lift pump gauge

vp44 is going out can't spend the 2g on the one i should, excellent info and diagn. by the way/ blutec. what is the best one for closer to 1g, also is the direct replacement fass pump for 250 or so worth it. also what fuel pressure gauge electronic, mech. set-up etc. is best for the money would appreciate as detailed as possible expl. I have a 95 dually that never has these problems, what were they thinking? 98.5 2500

Old 03-26-2009, 12:58 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

i would go with blue chip for the Vp they make some of the best Vp on the market...i would say the FASS direct replacement pump is worth it but if your planning on bigger upgrades for your truck then i would go ahead and get the 95 or 150 GPH pump....and i would go with an electronic guage that way you dont have to worry about an isolator and all that BS...and yes you have to wonder what they were thinkin in 98 when they switched to the 24v with this junky fuel system

Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

i too have wondered the same question, idiots, computer control pumps what a great idea

Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Now that I have finally gotten the weak spots fixed up I prefer the VP truck myself. Granted several thousands of dollars later and several different fuel systems later I have come to this conclusion.

You won't beat Blue Chip's Pumps, they are the best pumps with the best after the sale service on the market and well under the $2G mark.

I'm a die hard believer in mechanical gauges. Far more accurate, less prone to trouble and cheaper then the electronic gauges. I've never had an isolator on my gauges and have no problems with them.

Lift pumps, I have the Mechanical belt driven pump on mine and will never go back to an electric dive pump by choice but if I did it would be the Air Dog. Nothin against FASS just personal preference.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:34 AM
Diesel Fan

what is the belt drive pump? don't know anything about them. just found this site. if i had learned to use a computer earlier it would have saved me 190 on the carter oem i just bought from napa 3 weeks ago. bought the pick-up 4 weeks ago. knew about inj. pump problems but thought it was a simple 1100 and then you were good to go. ran strong when i bought it but went dead peddle topping a slight hill in 5th manual. knew about the tran nut problem too but tranny is so far good. went dead peddle or limp after a couple of cold starts. always starts immediatly though. blows white smoke and runs poorly in lower gears intermediately. dead vp44 right? appreciate you bombers, wish i'd known sooner

Old 03-26-2009, 02:43 AM
BOMBARDIER

First thing to do is take it to Auto Zone or someplace and have it checked for codes. That will tell most of the story. Let us know what codes they come up with. Have them clear any codes they find and take it back a few days later and have it checked again. Some of the codes they find may be old codes that have been fixed already and never cleared.

A fuel pressure gauge is needed right now cause that will tell the rest of the story. Just to get it hooked up quick and mounted where you can see it while your drivin just tap into the fuel supply on the top of the filter canister. One of the brass plugs, just pull it out and use a high pressure fitting to screw right into it along with about 18 inches of high pressure fuel line connected to a pressure gauge and you have it installed. Just run it out the top of the hood so it sits down by the windshield wiper. Once you have the parts it takes a half hour to install and your in business. I ran mine like that for years.

The idea is that you never want the pressure to drop below 5psi and 7 psi to be safe no matter how hard you push the go pedal.

These symptoms could also be the APPS needing to be reset or replaced. Give me a few here and I'll find some links for you to read for ideas.

Belt Drive Pump.
https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-2...lift-pump.html

https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-2...ss-mitusa.html

APPS Reset
https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...tomy-apps.html

Last edited by Uncle Bubba; 03-26-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:49 AM
BOMBARDIER

Here's one more good read to help understand what's goin on with your truck.
https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...el-system.html

Old 03-26-2009, 03:13 AM
Diesel Fan

read the codes can't remember which one but 2 something which i remember as being vp44 killer. when i checked the original lift pump it felt like it had no suction had to hook it back up to get it down the road and had to pressurize fuel tank to get it to start. i'm not a novice mechanic by any means, just my first 24 valve. had mechanic friend who had apps off another motor, switched it out and it made no difference. reset it with the unplug batteries slowly down/up method on site and made no difference if not worse. have not down voltage recalibration but figured pointless. filter was changed when i changed the stock lift pump. glad to hear your reccmds. on the fass direct replacement lift and what specific mech. gauge i should get

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

read the blue chip diagn. i mistakenly put in blutec in my orig. post. it should be required reading for anyone who owns one of these

Last edited by Bandit One; 03-26-2009 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-26-2009, 04:59 AM
BOMBARDIER

Any old 60 PSI guage will do. Personally I have an $18 one I got at the local race shop. Star brand I think. Genos always has some good prices and good quality stuff. You can find them in our sponsor area.

Another possibility for the VP problems and it will show codes for being a bad pump is bad electrical connections to the pump, either for the harness or the ground. Always try the cheap stuff first.

If all else fails call Chip at Blue Chip and talk to him. He is a valuable source of info on these pumps and he won't sell you anything he's not sure you need. Typically he can tell you the exact problem just by talking to you on the phone. The man is a master at what he does. And our own Luke of Lukesdiesel that is a sponsor here is one of the few authorized dealers for Bluechip Pump there are.

Not so much tryin to push our sponsors here but we only allow sponsors that have a reputation for taking care of customers and selling quality merchandise so it's hard not to. We believe in what we do and we do it for our fellow Diesel Jockey's. By the way, I never did say welcome to the site. Glad you found us.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Diesel Fan

So can someone tell me where to get a belt driven lift pump?

thanks,

Jim

Quick Reply: new vp44 lift pump gauge