24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Truck has trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Truck has trouble starting

I've got a 2001 Dodge cummins 6 Speed. It has trouble starting up first thing every morning. It will run for about 2 seconds then die and I can crank on it a couple of times again and it will start up. It seems to do it worse when its cold. Sometimes it will just sputter a bit when you first start it, but runs and drives great. The fuel pressure is between 12-14 PSI at idle. So I don't thin I'm having lift pump problems. The code I'm getting thru my superchip DTC is P0602 which is what I'm showing to be ECM Fueling Calibration Error. Does anyone have any ideas what this code means? Or what the problem is? I would appreciate your responses.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by rodneydiesel2
I've got a 2001 Dodge cummins 6 Speed. It has trouble starting up first thing every morning. It will run for about 2 seconds then die and I can crank on it a couple of times again and it will start up. It seems to do it worse when its cold. Sometimes it will just sputter a bit when you first start it, but runs and drives great. The fuel pressure is between 12-14 PSI at idle. So I don't thin I'm having lift pump problems. The code I'm getting thru my superchip DTC is P0602 which is what I'm showing to be ECM Fueling Calibration Error. Does anyone have any ideas what this code means? Or what the problem is? I would appreciate your responses.
check if ur cold start celenoids r energizing ur intake heater elements

Old 02-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It could be the wiring on the injection pump. Check all the wiring for loose connections and brokin wires. umm it could also be ur ECM. these are the fixes that i have seen.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

The P0602 code is pretty common with the downloaders.

I would try doing the key trick to checking the codes. OFF to On (repeat 3 times fast) leaving in the ON position. If you bump the starter or go too slow, you'll have try again.

Write down everything in the odometer window and keep writing until the mileage shows again.

Sometimes these down loaders miss codes.

My gut tells me that it's a VP, but double check the codes!

Dave

Old 02-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rodney did you ever get to run it to the dealer to see if it was covered. I hate to say it but it might be the VP.
You could unplug the vp and clean the connector and put some dielectro grease in it and plug it back in. Just a thought!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Might just try bumping the starter first,then once the lift pump stops then turn the key off,then back on,then let the grid heaters warm up,then try starting it.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackDodge
Rodney did you ever get to run it to the dealer to see if it was covered. I hate to say it but it might be the VP.
You could unplug the vp and clean the connector and put some dielectro grease in it and plug it back in. Just a thought!
Hey Paul,
Yeah I checked with Dodge and Cummins and they both say 5year/100,000 mile warranty so I'm out on that! But the last couple of days has been starting up perfect since its been warmer. Need 2 get time and check if my heater elements are working on the intake and also check my wiring connections.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you need some help call me.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

My grid ater are completely disconnected and I'm still seeing temps as low as 28-35*F in the mornings... Start on the first hit everytime. Might stubble a beat but thats all...

I live in Idaho...

Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

It is starting up fine now everyday even in the cold. I guess time will tell what it's doing.

Quick Reply: Truck has trouble starting