24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Torque converter vibration fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Torque converter vibration fix?

My torque converter is vibrating when the turbo spools and the converter locks. It is beginning to get a bit worse (more often). The tranny fluid is very clean. Can I get away with just swapping the converter? I will be getting rid of the truck in less than a year, so I'd like to keep the cost down if I can.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

you can get away with a stock replacement as long as you don't beat on it hard. your current converter is already trashed. more than likely the lugs where the converter bolts to the flexplate are now tweeked and aren't allowing the clutch in the converter to seat flush so it is chattering. this happened to mine. it will cause ALOT of heat if not taken care of soon and will damage the rest of the tranny.

but to answer the question you can get away with just the converter as long as the tranny shifts through the gears just fine minus the TC chatter....

Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Your not going to be able to tow that big boat of yours with a Prius....

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 02-10-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Your not going to be able to tow that big boat of your with a Prius....
Enter the funny bugger! What's going on Shane?

Yeah, you're right, that is a slight issue. Fortunately, I haven't had to worry about it lately, since she's been without engines for the last year, but I'm in the midst of converting her over to diesel (twin Volvo Pentas)

Would I get away with one of those cheapo billet converters? Just looking for something a little HD to get me through the year. Come next January, the wife gets a new-to-me Cummins ... I'm such a dick!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:56 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Hot damn you finally came to yer senses and gonna stick with the Cummins. I guess all that school really did pay off.

Hey Andrew, glad to see ya get yer head out a the books long enough to pay a visit. I was thinkin of you some weeks back when it was blowin -30 windchills here and just after that they talk about Southern Cali bein almost 70. I was a cussin ya that day.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:38 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by piperca

Would I get away with one of those cheapo billet converters? Just looking for something a little HD to get me through the year. Come next January, the wife gets a new-to-me Cummins ... I'm such a dick!
You should be able to...I would at the very least get a good tranny guy to take a look at it. Youre in Ca arent you? How far are ya from Inglewood Transmissions?

Inglewood Transmission

Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Shane, Inglewood is about 40-50 miles from me, not too far. Do these guys have that good a reputation? There is a guy who's pretty local to me that has a little hole-in-the-wall shop that does good work, I was going to give him a call. Any recommendation on a half decent converter?

Dennis, it's not in the 70s lately, in fact, today was in the 40s to low 50s ... still like summer for you!

I'm really excited about my boat repower. Hopefully, I can post some pics when she's finished, so you die hard diesel guys can get your jollies!

Edit: ****, Shane, that place is in Fullerton; that's not far at all, I'll give them a call.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 AM
BOMBARDIER

I dunno...Ive read a few articles about them in Diesel Power. Cant say if they will be cheap or not...I would imagine they can build cheap as easily as expensive. The good news is, you shouldnt have any shortage of tranny places in that part of the country.

Sorry, I cant really recommend much for converters...Im usually reading and dreaming about the $$$ ones.

Good luck - you dont need any more bad luck with that truck.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Good luck - you dont need any more bad luck with that truck.
You've got that right!

How about this one?

eBay Motors: DODGE DIESEL 5.9L TORQUE CONVERTER RAM 2500 3500 47RE (item 260360004004 end time Feb-19-09 13:05:50 PST)

All I've got is the Van Aaken and RV275s, so I think this would hold up to the torque. I haven't ever sat down and tried to figure out where I'm at, any ideas?

Edit: Sent a message to the guy and he said the stall is 1200-1400.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I called Inglewood Trans and they want $1200 to install a new converter ... ouch!

Last edited by piperca; 02-12-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Go RAVENS!!!!!!!!!
Received 229 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm running the TCI converter from Jegs and it holds all the power i can throw at it.
It was around $500ish if i remember. You should look at a VB to supply the extra line pressure to the converter.

Quick Reply: Torque converter vibration fix?