24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Dana 80 Rear ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Dana 80 Rear ??

Looking into putting a posi unit in my truck and not sure what years will fit. What are you running & witch one is the best? Is a factory used unit worth the money in the long run?
Any opinions good or bad.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Be carefull, depending on what year and setup your truck is you might have a dana 70u axel.....

Not a big deal just an 80 housing with smaller internals!
I have a detroit locker and love it to death over the stock unit. It was just a little more than the stock one too, I would never get a used one. These trucks work the rear diffs pretty hard expecially if you have mods.
The stock units are great if you tow heavy all the time.
Or just toy around town I didn't look for a better limited slip. But they are out there.
Now anything above a dana 60 seems to have a big jump in price! yeah I spent 2k$ on a fully rebuilt rear with the locker. But mine went way south....

Only down side I have seen with mine is when I'm towing my trailer for work I can't seem not chirp the tires when turning and have plenty of little black marks on my driveway from the lower section of my backyard!ohh and snow is a little scary too if your driving like jackass( yes I am guilty). But in mud sand and soft dirt makes it well worth it! Made a diffrence tonight as I towed a trailer 300 miles full of wood, 30 miles of it offroad to a mine in the mojave desert.

I could talk all night but I want to look at the stars and drink a beer before bed!!!

Feel free to ask anymore questions and I'm sure in the morning more will chime in

Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

For the price, a stock replacement isn't worth it. If you want a LS, look at the TruTrac, or an Eaton unit if they make one for a D80 (EcTed or E-Locker). For a locker (not as nice on the street, but better off road) look at Detroit, Ox, ARB, or Eaton. Keep in mind, once you get the unit you still have the expense of having it installed. If everything in your carrier is good, double the price of the locker, and thats roughly what its going to cost installed. If they have to replace gears, seals, or pull the pinion for whatever reason, you're looking at a bigger chunk of change. Its not something you can do at home if you've never done it before, GTP, Backlash, and load preset's cannot be out of spec, if they are, your diff will last as long as a pizza at a weight watchers convention...

Old 01-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks Guys for the info.
I would like to have something that is pretty smooth (not like a spool). I still want to pull trailers and do smokey burnouts. One tire is not real impressive. Kinda like pickin up your date in a 60 model VW Bug.

Queeq : My truck has an 80 in it already, disk brakes and all. I haven't pulled the cover off yet to see if it even has the stock posi unit.(might just be clutches) Does it make any noisy if they go out???? I just know that it only spins the right rear. O'yea my truck is described in my sig.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Diesel Bomber

No, it won't hurt a thing if the clutches wear out, it just won't work as a LS. If it does indeed have a LS, and you'll know once you pop the cover, put it back on, fill it with whatever gear lube you like (without Friction Modifier). Do some driving and see if helps, without the FM the clutches won't slip nearly as easily.

Based on what you're saying, you definitely DON'T want a locker, maybe a selectable locker like an Ox, or an ARB, or an EcTed. I'd suggest a TruTrac from Detroit.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I read about the Detroit I think that is what I'm wanting. Something like a LS? If my 80 has a LS, cant I rebuild it with new clutches?
And if their out , your saying that I wont be able to tell except for it be being a one tire wonder?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IV herd that Detroit, or eaton lockers r the best to buy but i know they wont be cheap. if ur wanting to do the cheap way out, then just pull ur center section and weld it solid!!!! it will give u posi all the time if u dont mind eating threw tiers like crazy, and is sucks to drive on wet or snowy roads with it link and locked!!! i would not recomend this tho!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I've got a rock crawler that I welded and it sucks, except in the rocks, mud & offroading. I wont recommend it either.
This is for my daily driver not a toy. Need something reliable.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by cumminsman95
IV herd that Detroit, or eaton lockers r the best to buy but i know they wont be cheap. if ur wanting to do the cheap way out, then just pull ur center section and weld it solid!!!! it will give u posi all the time if u dont mind eating threw tiers like crazy, and is sucks to drive on wet or snowy roads with it link and locked!!! i would not recomend this tho!
Wow... I had a tough time reading this. DON'T weld your spider gears, it is what guys call a Lincoln Locker (like a Lincoln Welder), its basically a mini spool, and will make your truck unstreetable.

If your clutches are worn, it won't hurt anything AT ALL, you'll just look like a dork with 1 wheel burnouts. However, a lot of the time, just draining the gear lube and adding straight lube back in it without friction modifier, the clutches will be grabby enough to give you posi back for another 10K miles or so (really depends on how hard you are on it). Of course, sometimes the clutches are too far gone for them to have any friction material left, in which case, you're still spinning one donut instead of two.

You can always rebuild a stocker, but unless you've done it before, don't try it... To have it rebuilt you're probably looking at a few hundred bucks at least, and it will never perform like an aftermarket LSD.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yeah I don't believe i will be doing any spider gear welding on my ride. I will be pulling the cover this weekend to check and see if it has a LS. If so I will try straight weight to see if it makes any change.
Thanks M.O.M.

Quick Reply: Dana 80 Rear ??