24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

best way to bomb a 2nd gen cummins

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to bomb a 2nd gen cummins

ok so im sellin my mazda 6 (wtf was i thinkin i have no idea) anyways i want a 2nd gen 4X4 cummins. the upgrades i know for sure im doin are dual 4'' straights an s&b intake ,anintake elbow and a smarty. im looking for around 550 HP and 1000 FT LB i know it will require a tranny and all that..im looking to do this in stages.im going to open up an acount for JUST my truck. ill put about 100-150 bucks in it a week..id like the first 3 mentioned upgrades right off the bat.then i was thinking tranny and suspension and brakes(safety and reliability frst) then get more into the engine. IE injectors,twin turbo setup,intercooler,cam and maybe port and polish.idk if i got a good plan or not but hey thats what im here for. i also plan on going to wytoech for diesel performance in a year or two so hopefully i can be able to save on install

Old 12-13-2008, 10:46 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

My suggested order would be as follows for pretty much any 2nd generation truck

1. Your most important Mod, Mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge. The other gauges are needed but this one is top priority.

2. Air Intake.

3. Exhaust.

4. Tranny

5. Chip

6. From there anything goes. The rest of your list is gonna be hard to do in stages. You are gonna want bigger injectors with the twins then you can use with any single and the cam is gonna change all of this. So once your to this stage it would be better to save and do it all at once.

Another suggestion here would be a good 3 piece exhaust manifold. Also think about your final goals and what your gonna do with this truck. The SMARTY is a great controller for low end power and pulling but does nothing for high end power so it all depends on your uses for this truck.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:54 PM

well what mean by stages is basicaly what you said.save up and buy the necasary componets for 1 stage IE stage 1:gauges CAI ,exhaust and a chip.
then from their whatever else..i plan on spending about 1500-3000 per "stage"

im not TOO sure on the diff between low and highend..im mainly using it for street/track purposes if that helps any

Old 12-14-2008, 12:46 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

The most important first thing is a fuel pressure gauge. It can mean life and death on the VP44 (injector pump).

Old 12-14-2008, 02:15 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

The SMARTY provides quicker spool up on the take off along with more torque. The Comp and the Quadzilla give you more top end as in speed. SMARTY for pullin, Comp or Quad for racin. Or get the best of both worlds and stack the SMARTY and the Comp for one wild ride.

In all honesty here though, I don't know your situation at all financially. You talkin about being a student and what your lookin at here is gonna be way more then a hobby by the time your done, it's gonna cost you more then the house I live in to build and maintain this truck. Just don't want to see ya get in over your head and lose it all when reality strikes. I've seen this happen over and over on these sites with boys and their toys.

By the way, welcome to the site.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:24 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 504 Likes on 412 Posts

Welcome to DieselBombers

And well said Uncle Bubba. It does take some money do the things you want to accomplish. Just plan this out and think it out before you do anything. And going to school is going to take some money. And the money spent on schooling will get you more than a modified truck will That's easier to say than it is to do. I know Once your education is done and your working, Bomb away. And trust me You will have to have a Adrenaline with pulse monitor Good Luck in whatever you do

Old 12-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

as bill said fuel pressure gauge so lp don`t take out ip and cost ya a couple grand
and as jazz said adrenaline with pulse but worry more about your school first then bombing

Old 12-14-2008, 02:41 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

a fuel pressure gauge is top. i wish i had gotten one to begin with. also before you get to wild in the power adders id recomend getting an airdog or fass lift pump. it is also more of a safe gaurd for the "CHEAP VP-44"

Old 12-14-2008, 05:26 PM

im pretty good for an 18 yr old financialy..im a national horse transporter with my buddy he pays me 500 a week.and im not goin to school for a good while and also imgetng 4 yrs of college paid for through a texas foundation

Old 12-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

still, just dont put yourself in debt and on the verge of bankruptcy by building this truck is all we are saying, trust me, ive got a friend who's dumped 15 grand into his truck this year and is forced now to est cheap *** mac and cheese and is bouncing place to place caause he cant afford rent or food.

anyway, id get a fuel pressure gauge first, aftermarket lift pump second, then do your intake and exhaust, MBRP exhaust is great and very easy to install, im running it on 3 out 4 trucks right now, then id get you either the quadzilla adrenaline or the edge juice with attitude multi function chips, then get the smarty. itll be at this point that your tranny will die, go with suncoast or NADA, they are the best, steer clear of ATS, after the tranny and converter if you still see the need for more, get you a set of 100-150 hp injectors and maybe an HX 40 or a ptat shaft 62/64 turbo and be done.

just so you know, heres the estimate pricing its gonna cost you.

intake-$260+
exhaust, dual 4in - 450+
chip- 600+
smarty- 400+
tranny- 3500+ just for the tranny add another 1500+ for the converter
injectors- for the power you want, 100-150s are the miniumn - $900+
turbo, hx40- $600, pfat shat 62- 1200+, twins- 3500+

just want you to know what youre going to get into building, course if you get a 5/6 spd manual, youll be able to save a little $$$. good luck

Quick Reply: best way to bomb a 2nd gen cummins