24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

I have a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a few questions?

So my 2001 6 speed has been worrying me lately. fist off around 5000 miles ago i installed a 550 horse dual disk South Bend Clutch, Edge Stage 3 injectors,BHAF, and a diablo sport power puck. I was very impressed with the performance of the truck when i got it back but the last week or so it has been running kinda weird. I grew up a chevy guy so dont know a whole lot about cummins motors and need some help. Well my problems include a lopey idle almost sounds like its got a big cam or somethin, and if i hold the rpms at 2 grand the tach bounces from 1900 to 2100, very sensitive pedal that doesnt seem like there is as much pedal as ther use to be also when taking off if i go over half throttle it seems really jumpy almost like the clutch is slipping but i cant see that happening with that dual disk? And it throws the overboost code like once a week ....Any advice on the truck will be greatly appreciated....Thanks

Old 12-07-2008, 11:07 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

the over boost code can be taken care of with a boost fooler from BD, and well the pedal issue might be because of your mods, im assuming ya mean it revs very easily which is good i would guess...im not sure about your lope it could have to do with your timing and the injectors, that could also be where your getting your surging

Old 12-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be the copper washer in the injector it has happened before do you have fuel in the oil?

Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bythehorns
very sensitive pedal that doesnt seem like there is as much pedal as there used to be
That's your edge,if you ever pull heavy with it you will notice that it makes more power at about 2/3 pedal than it does floored.

I'm sure your clutch ain't slipping,I ain't a big Southbend fan,but those things grab like a dirty bitch.
My 01 engine surged too,not sure what the deal is,putting another engine in it cured the problem though
Seems to me that surging is a common problem,If it really bothers you I'd try changing the Cam position sensor and the Crank position sensor,but I don't KNOW that would work.
Could see if someone will let you borrow a smarty program just to see if it would help?

Old 12-09-2008, 02:55 PM

well i pulled out the power puck today and am borrowing a buddies smarty just to see how it runs... it seems to run great sometimes and others it runs like **** but idk...ill see tonight how things go....and no the oil seems fine. no fuel in it...seems to act up the most when it is cold though. had to replace my thermostat yesterday because it wasnt building heat at all and that cured that problem

Old 12-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

is your trunk leaking any oil?? if it is, it may have gotten into the clutch and contaminated it, mine did the same thing and all i was leakign was just a little bit of power steering fluid, when i pulled the clutch out, you could see where it had been impregnated with oil

Old 12-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you calibrated the APPS?

the lopey idle surprises me if you dont have any vp44 or injector line mods.

it's possible it's a vp issue not being able to pop off the injectors. how many miles on the vp. and any other fuel mods?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The funny idling could be the APPS. That happened to me a while back, I recalibrated it and it was fine. Do you ever get a dead pedal and then a check engine light?

Old 12-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The surging issue happened to me and never flashed a code. Put it in several shops and they could not find the problem. It ended up being my APPS. Changed it and it went away. Just a thought

Old 12-14-2008, 07:10 PM

APPS? im not too familiar with computer controlled vehicles im more of a old chevy guy.....but the clutch having oil on it could be the problem because the seal from the shifter to the top of the trans went bad and covered the trans wit fluid...what can i do to fix that?.... and another thing i have noticed is when cruising around seventy there is alot of engine noise but it goes away when i put it on cruise. then if i just barely touch the pedal the rattly noise comes back

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

one of my buddies said the noise i get when im in the throttle could be a thrust bearing in the injection pump?

Last edited by bythehorns; 12-14-2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: I have a few questions?