24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:46 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts
Default Ignition Problems

My trucks givin me fits tryin to start it once in a while and I need to get somethin done with it before I'm stuck someplace. For quit a while now I've had key problems. Sometimes the key locks up and won't turn to start the truck. I can keep wigglin it around or turn it over and it will usually work just fine. So I know right of the bat I have a problem there I need to fix.

Tonight it started not startin when I turn the key. I can hear the selenoid click but nothin after that. I just kept doin it and eventually it caught and fired up. When it catches it fires right up, no problem there. Somethin electrical isn't makin connection here.

So is it the ignition wire bad, bad starter contacts, clutch safety switch maybe, give me some ideas.

Also since I know I need to change the ignition switch any how to's on that would be nice.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

i'd say the starter is acting up when it "clicks"....... the key situation sounds like my powerstroke..... it came with 2 very used keys and i'd have to wiggle it, slide it flip it over etc..... went to ford and had them cut me a ket by the VIN and all is good now. works perfect, i made a copy of the new one and put it away for safe keeping.....

Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

The key thing sucks becuase you have to go to the dealership and get the tumbler(switch) made to fit your key and for a Dodge Minivan getting this done cost like $150 bucks, and my starter did the same thing to me last spring, i just ended getting a reman from autozone been working ever since

Old 11-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
My trucks givin me fits tryin to start it once in a while and I need to get somethin done with it before I'm stuck someplace. For quit a while now I've had key problems. Sometimes the key locks up and won't turn to start the truck. I can keep wigglin it around or turn it over and it will usually work just fine. So I know right of the bat I have a problem there I need to fix.

I went to NAPA and bough a replaccement key lock. Rather cheap and easy to replace. But Now my Mom's truck has 2 keys now 1 for the ignition and on for the doors.

Tonight it started not startin when I turn the key. I can hear the selenoid click but nothin after that. I just kept doin it and eventually it caught and fired up. When it catches it fires right up, no problem there. Somethin electrical isn't makin connection here.

Sound like starter contacts are going bad. You can rebuild that starter yourself for very little cost. Stop in your local parts store and get the contacts and brushes and do it yourself.

So is it the ignition wire bad, bad starter contacts, clutch safety switch maybe, give me some ideas.

Starter need to be rebuild which you can do yourself. The key lock is bad in the column so that needs replacement.

Also since I know I need to change the ignition switch any how to's on that would be nice.

Take the cover off the neck of the steering column. Your going to need a set of tamper proof torx bits for the removal of the last few screws. I got a small set of them from NAPA. Once you take the few screw out thge lock slides out... Not hard at all... I wish I could put more information but I can't remember exactly how it went... All I can say is its about a 15-30 minute job.
There you go my 2 cents on the subject...

Old 11-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

I agree....starter contacts

Old 11-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Starter Contacts ,

Foster's Truck & Equipment Sales, Inc.

Larry B's Starter Contacts

Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Called Larry B's tonight and put my order in. Gettin the Starter Contacts, Starter Relay, and the oil drain from him. Hopefully this will fix it all up. Wish I'd seen this relay before now I would have had that installed a long time ago. Also gonna go ahead and change out the sensor that hides behind the starter while we have it out to.

LarryB's Dodge starting problems solved here.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

TAKE PHOTOS

My trucks under Murphys Law