24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Dying VP?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dying VP?

Last night I updated the adrenaline with the newest version of the dyno tune. So today I was driving home and decided to roll a little coal on the city folks, turned it on level 10 and hardly got any smoke or power at all. I turned it back to stock and laid into it, boost and everything was normal so it doesn't feel like its in limp mode and no codes were thrown. When I got home I killed the engine and then started it again about 15 minutes later because I've heard warm hard to start issues are related to the VP. It fired up like normal but I think I am going to put another tune on the ADR and check ADR connections under the hood and see what happens. Questions? Comments?

Old 11-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Try the new comp tune

Old 11-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This morning the dyno tune worked fine it just happened on my way home. I had the older version of the comp tune of it before and loved it so I'll probably switch back

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I ran into town a little while ago and everything ran normal. I'm not sure what the deal was but I am still going to download a new tune and probably update the pulse for custom tuning

Last edited by cummins24; 11-11-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

You should be go to go

Old 11-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert but I sweated through diagnosing/deciding a few months ago whether or not my VP44 was failing - 240,000 on the original. Based on all I learned - I concluded my VP44 was bad. The replacement (Blue Chip Diesel) cured the problem and improved performance and fuel mileage. Based on your description of the problem it seems unlikely you have a VP44 failure.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:47 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Sounds to me like your lift pump is goin. I don't see any high pressure LP or fueling mods in your signature. If your runnin that box with the stock fueling system your starving your VP and it won;t last long turned up. Your literally runnin the VP dry if this is the case.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:56 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

From what I have found, the Adrenaline can cause too much duty cycle at high rpm. This in effect alters the timing, fuel volume and even fuel pressure.

This is why most trucks make more power on a lower level than on PL9 or PL10.

Also, lift pump pressure is not the cause. I know this as I have run over 40 psi into the VP44 through a modified 14mm inlet with no changes in power.

Dave

Old 11-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

40 PSI into a VP??? That's looking for trouble! There is a valve that is set at 14 PSI (I think) that bleeds off the excess fuel, but most often the truck will have starting issues with pressures in the 20s.

I'm sure that too much pressure is not going to provide any additional performance over what you would normally get with a truck that is tuned properly; however, a lift pump that is supplying a less than adequate amount of fuel to the VP is certainly going to provide performance issues ... been there, done that! I noticed a remarkable difference in performance when I replaced my dead lift pump ... even more when I replaced my DEAD VP44 a few months later. Listen to what has been said before and check your fuel delivery system. A fuel pressure gauge can save you a lot of heartache and money!

Last edited by piperca; 11-26-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Here Here!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by piperca
40 PSI into a VP??? That's looking for trouble! There is a valve that is set at 14 PSI (I think) that bleeds off the excess fuel, but most often the truck will have starting issues with pressures in the 20s.

I'm sure that too much pressure is not going to provide any additional performance over what you would normally get with a truck that is tuned properly; however, a lift pump that is supplying a less than adequate amount of fuel to the VP is certainly going to provide performance issues ... been there, done that! I noticed a remarkable difference in performance when I replaced my dead lift pump ... even more when I replaced my DEAD VP44 a few months later. Listen to what has been said before and check your fuel delivery system. A fuel pressure gauge can save you a lot of heartache and money!

I second that one, you dont want anything over 25psi and anything less then 7 and thats from cummins and bosch themselves, anything more then 25 for a long period of time will reputure seals, if youre just doing a sled pull of strip run a few times a year and dont do any daily driving, you'll be fine at 40 psi but make sure you are ready to swap VP44s when it burns up.

Quick Reply: Dying VP?