24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Overboost Code??? How?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see alot of people that do block off the waste gate on purpose. How does that make more boost exactly? Is that recomended? Also, being with no mods I can't really get enough boost to do any damage to the truck from what I understand, but if I throw the overboost code what does it do to my truck? I've read that it defuels. Does it defuel at that moment or how does that work? I've also seen "limp mode", what is this exactly?

Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Renteria1217
I see alot of people that do block off the waste gate on purpose. How does that make more boost exactly? Is that recomended? Also, being with no mods I can't really get enough boost to do any damage to the truck from what I understand, but if I throw the overboost code what does it do to my truck? I've read that it defuels. Does it defuel at that moment or how does that work? I've also seen "limp mode", what is this exactly?
I recall disconnecting the waste gate actuator hose and plugging the compressor port and all the stock turbo could provide is 35 psi of boost which is still a safe margin 4 that engine as long as ur egt's stay within the limit. in my case, I dont tow, so these high boost levels r only 4 a few secs. The waste gate opens an exhaust port in the turbine housing, bypassing the turbine, slowing the turbo down, hence governing the max boost level. not really recommended. u should have fuel pressure, boost and egt gauges. this way, just at a glance, u will know how ur engine is doing. I never seen the overboost and limp mode on my truck so I cant tell u much bout that. limp mode is a default setting that will get u 2 the garage, I presume in lean and gutless fueling state!

Old 10-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

Beleive it or not but low batteries and faulty grounds can cause that code as well. Been there done that.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yeah I really need to get guages. I'm actually just going to go with a monitor so I don't have to have so many guages. That kinda stuff was going to be the first things I did to this truck, but 4 freakin days after I bought it, the vp went out. I dropped about $1700 right off. That was just parts, I did the labor. It's crazy how expensive these things can be. So back to the overboost code...I didn't know batteries could play in on this. My batteries are brand new, but I know the grounds aren't done the best. I didn't have the right connectors when I put on the new batteries so I had to use what was laying around. The ground on one of the batteries isn't the best. Say it did come loose and I had a bad connection, could that throw an overboost code? Even if it's just one of the batteries, or would it have to be both?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes. First place to check for loose cables is the air intake horn (intake manifold). Follow those down to the battery tray on drivers side and inspect carefully. Check them all, clean all the terminal posts and get a good seal with a cleaned post and you will get rid of the code - if that was the problem.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

we'll see. So far it hasn't come up. I've driven about 500 miles, nothing yet.