24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Mad At The Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mad At The Truck

Hey everyone, just thought I would tell you all about my weekend. Went camping in the beatiful rocky mountains for the weekend and got in the truck this morning and it wouldn't start. Cranked on it and it sputtered some and smoked a lot. Then died and the batteries went dead trying to start it. Tried to get someone to jump start me and nothing. Ran the pump and found out, no fuel pressure! Lift pump took a dump in the middle of no where. Then my buddy went and got me a lift pump and brought it to me and had to put it on up there. Then she cranked and cranked and finally started and smoked out the whole dang place. Then on the way home, my LS caliper froze up and abs lights comes on and now the truck is pulling like crazy. I kind of wanna blow the dang thing up!!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

And you could imagine what the wife thought......

Last edited by BareBackJack; 08-31-2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-31-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Everything always goes wrong when your not a home.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:00 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Welcome to the site and Truck Cusser Club. We spend half our life cussin our trucks and the other half tellin em how much we loves em.

If you replaced the LP with another stocker yo may as well buy another for a spare. They are complete junk. I see your also runnin a Superchip. No way that stock fuel system will support the fuel needs of that chip. Your killin your high priced VP. Also make sure you have a fuel pressure gauge someplace that you can see it at all times. This way you will know before your LP dies and takes the VP with it.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Diesel Fan

Yeah, i know. I need to get a lot of things. Just a little on the broke side right now. I'm going to take that chip out I think and put back my stock injectors. Until I can get some money to get a good fuel supply system. Probably a raptor or air dog.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:20 PM
BOMBARDIER

That's your best bet. If your broke you really don't want to buy $1200 VP.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

a chip and injectors and stock LP ......... doh'

Your truck should of still ran w/o the LP , not for long before the VP would crash tho

Old 08-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Diesel Fan

I was under the impression that when the lp goes out it acts as just a restriction in the system, not letting fuel flow through it at all. I don't know why they can't just make a gear driven lift pump. Who the heck thought of this electric junk?? Oh well, what can you do. Also my fuel pressure was good before it just decided to quit working. I have a gauge on my fuel filter housing and I would test it all the time, just wedge the gauge between the hoot and windshield (real classy!) I could get it to drop low when I stomp on it, but I just usually drive normal and keep my foot out of it. Mainly just back and forth to work, which is ten min.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Your Vp44 will draw fuel threw a busted LP and it will kill your VP44 , a fuel pressure gauge is a Must on a 24V CTD

Old 08-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Diesel Fan

Oh. Well it wasn't drawing fuel through this one. Well i'll get some gauges here shortly. One's that aren't under the hood.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:39 PM
BOMBARDIER

They do have a mechanical LP for these trucks. I'm runnin a belt drive pump myself, never go back to an electric motor one again by choice.

Your truck will drive just fine without an LP as long as your VP is still good, that's why it is essential to have a guage where you can see it at all times. Your VP just won't stay good for long driving without the LP.

Quick Reply: Mad At The Truck