24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Pulling Gear Case Cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling Gear Case Cover

I made a mistake and now need to pull the gear case cover to find the VP44 woodruff key that seems to have fallen inside. Incidently, someone asked about the front crankshaft seal - it is installed into the gear case cover - you're not going to install a new seal without pulling the cover. I have a new seal on order for my project... Anyhow, here's the problem. One of the cover's bolts is behind the edge of the fan pulley. The fan pulley appears to be held into the shaft (or whatever else is behind the pulley by 4 bolts. The shop manual says don't pull the fan pulley bolts because something behind them is spring loaded. I can't find anything on how to pull the fan pulley (probably right there but the obvious often escapes me). perhaps the fan pulley comes off as an assembly after the ~ 1 1/4" nut holding the fan and viscous coupler is pulled - but nothing says so. Oh, and pulling that nut looks to be a trick - the manual says put a bar beween the bolt heads to keep the shaft from turning - the size and age of that big nut causes me to doubt I can hold that shaft/pulley well enough to loosen the big nut. If you've pulled your gear case cover how did you deal with the nut,located behind the fan pulley that needs to be removed?

Jim

Old 08-13-2008, 10:51 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Sorry can't help ya on the fan but be sure to do the KDP while your in there doin the other stuff thats needed!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I know on my 24V when I did the KDP I pulled the belt and then pulled the whole fan assembly out as a unit, I did not take than fan off the hub.

To take the case off you have to remove the cam as well, no small task.

Just pull your cover off and look around, it is either behind the cover or down in the pan.

To do the crank seal you have to pull the balancer off as well, I went a little overboard when I did mine, pulled the radiator and cleaned it real well and then dis-assembled from there. That gave me a lot more room to work in there.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 00' Quad Cab; 08-13-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Theres a casting that is held on the block with four bolts and that casting holds the fan hub. One or two of the bolts that hold the casting to the block is behind the fan pulley and you have to have all the other bolts out and slowly you will be able to loosen this final bolt and get the fan off at the same time. Make sure you put some cardboard between the fan and radiator when it comes out so you dont screw up the fins of the radiator. You also have to pull the balancer off to get the front cover opened up. The whole job should take about 1 hr, as I can pull the cover and tab the KDP and have the truck back together and running out the door in 2 hrs flat.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KPD - What's a KPD ?????????

Thanks for the hint about pulling the casting that holds the fan hub. That looks easy except I only see 3 bolts total - looks easy - going to do it now but for everyone else - what the heck is a KDP - Knuckle Damaging Part?

Old 08-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by recordcatch
what the heck is a KDP - Knuckle Damaging Part?

https://www.dieselbombers.com/cummin...ome-video.html

Old 08-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Killer Dowel Pin

There is a dowel pin used to line up the casing during assembly that likes to fall out and wreck things inside the timing cover and on occasion bust out the side of the timing cover. If you are one of the few that get lucky it falls out and goes straight down into the bottom of the oil pan and causes no damage. 99.9% of the time it gets ugly though.

Forgot to mention in my other post you have to remove the fan shroud as well and it has to be done at the same time as the fan.