24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Block Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block Question

Which would be the more desireable of the two blocks? a 55 block, or a block with just a 5 with some smaller #'s above it?? Both engines are in busses bound for the scrap yard, and I was given the oportunity to take one of them, I will be rebuilding one of these engines to replace the one in my truck (I have a cracked 53) I understand that the 53,54,55, blocks were all cast in Brazil, and the blocks that have a series of small numbers cast into the block were cast in Mexico, and I'm told the Mexican blocks are a little stronger. I've not heard of a block with just a 5 casting #
Can anybody shed any light onto this???

Old 08-14-2008, 10:15 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

not real sure as long as you stay away from the 53 which you found out first hand, i read somethin on this a while back i THINK the 55 block is your strongest, we'll see if anybody else can shed some light on this

Old 08-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

1. Brazilian Blocks are cast by a company named "TUPY" and are marked such. They are identified with cast evolution numbers. #53's are TUPY's. #54 and later evolutions were improved to correct the block issues that the 53's had.
2. Mexican Blocks were made by "Teksid" these blocks to my knowledge never had a problem with cracking, as they are heavier duty by trait, but they did follow the evolutions and got thicker. These blocks do not have the 2 digit "cast number" embossed on the side, instead a series of numbers that are unidentifiable to me. The Mexican blocks were rumored to even be harder to machine do to a harder cast overall, basically better quality in my opinion.

Brazilian Tupys always seem to outnumber Mexican blocks during the ISB's production probably about 8 to 1. So basically if there is a pattern number its Brazilian, if there is a series of small numbers its Mexican.

By the way the Mexican equivalent of a 56 pattern was the Heaviest ISB block of all. This means if you have a 2002 without a #56 on it and instead it has a series of numbers that are smaller and hard to identify, you got the the big boy!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks!
So, I assume the block with the large 5 and the smaller #'s above it, is a Mexican TESKID block???

Old 08-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

yes it is actually. btw, not all 53 blocks were junk, only a small percentage of them were, less then 1%, out of the 4 trucks we have, 3 are 53 blocks including my 500 dyno proven rear wheel hp monster with 250k on it and none have cracked. with that said, i too would find a different block if possible, better be safe then sorry right??? if you dont mind sharing how much does the junbkyard want for the blocks??

The following users liked this post:
boosted (08-15-2008)
Old 08-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Diesel Fan

I'm getting this engine for free, belive it or not. I'm a fleet mechanic for a town fleet, and these two busses are bound for the scrapyard, since I need an engine, the boss's boss said I could have one for free!
I've found engines any where from 1K-3k bucks, look on Craigslist.com under auto parts, and do a search for "dodge cummins" I actually found a few great deals, like an engine, 5speed tranny, complete wiring harness, brake booster, turbo, VP44, all for $2500. the deal breaker was it was another 53 block. I know the failure rate for the 53 is very low, but it would be just my luck I put another 53 in my truck, and 6 months later it'd crack again!

Old 08-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Diesel Bomber

cool, i wish i hadthat deal about the freebie

Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dukeboy_318
yes it is actually. btw, not all 53 blocks were junk, only a small percentage of them were, less then 1%, out of the 4 trucks we have, 3 are 53 blocks including my 500 dyno proven rear wheel hp monster with 250k on it and none have cracked. with that said, i too would find a different block if possible, better be safe then sorry right??? if you dont mind sharing how much does the junbkyard want for the blocks??
I agree 100%.. I am running one in my truck right now..

Old 08-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Diesel Bomber

yeah, from what cummins said in there press release a while back bout the blocks, only the 53 castings with a water jacket thinksness below .254 were cracking, most of there were early production blocks and less then 1 percent would crack. the way to check the thickness is to pull the freeze plug and use a digital diacaliper to gauge the thickness.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Diesel Fan

I am kind of new to this. Can someone tell me where to look for the numbers? Can you see them with the engine still in the truck?

BB

Quick Reply: Block Question