24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Time For A Truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time For A Truck

well i have finally decided to get rid of the jeep and get myself a real truck. i found an 01 2500 EXT SB Auto 4x4 with 100k on the odometer. basically i need a run down of what to have checked out and any problems common on the 01's. Also what kind of mileage can i expect in stock trim and whats the best ill see modified.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the truck ...i average almost 18 in the summer with my mods..bout 15 stock...i have 4.10 gears

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

guess i read to quick
check for codes by cycleing key three times...post any codes here..0216 is time for an inj pump
if it has rear disks its an 01.5
i would not hesitate on the milage ....just broke in
check track bar...jerk the wheel back and forth while runnin and have someone watch to see for alot of play...inside drivers side wheel front
check emergency brake ...if they kept up on that ..they def kept up on brakes
good luck
marcel

Last edited by marcel310; 07-28-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Go RAVENS!!!!!!!!!
Received 229 Likes on 113 Posts

Do the above and also check the trans fluid to see if it's still red and not brown.
Also make sure it doesn't have the 53 block, here's a link
53 Block FAQ and Information

Old 07-29-2008, 01:50 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
Do the above and also check the trans fluid to see if it's still red and not brown.
Also make sure it doesn't have the 53 block, here's a link
53 Block FAQ and Information
i've heard of that before but didnt know why thanks for posting the link

Old 07-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No big deal on the 53 block. I have it in my truck and not a problem yet and I have heard of maybe 10 that has cracked out of about 80,000 or so built... not a big number at all....

I would recomend taking the truck to a mechanic and get the fp checked. This will give you and idea on how well the lp is an dmaybe if you are going to be needing to look at a vp in the near future. It is a vp truck so just plan on replacing bioth of them in the future.. around $2k for a good set...

Also while you are checking the front end out look at the ball joints both upper and lower and see if the boots are torn off... Thes trucks love to eat the stock non greaseable ball joints... Look and see what the batter cable slook like also.. See if they have kept them clean.. if not and they are toast it will run you around $400 at the dealer to get them replaced....

Look at the air filter also.. if it has a dirty one in it then it would leed one to believe that the truck has not been taken care of....

Old 07-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by boosted
No big deal on the 53 block. I have it in my truck and not a problem yet and I have heard of maybe 10 that has cracked out of about 80,000 or so built... not a big number at all....

I would recomend taking the truck to a mechanic and get the fp checked. This will give you and idea on how well the lp is an dmaybe if you are going to be needing to look at a vp in the near future. It is a vp truck so just plan on replacing bioth of them in the future.. around $2k for a good set...

Also while you are checking the front end out look at the ball joints both upper and lower and see if the boots are torn off... Thes trucks love to eat the stock non greaseable ball joints... Look and see what the batter cable slook like also.. See if they have kept them clean.. if not and they are toast it will run you around $400 at the dealer to get them replaced....

Look at the air filter also.. if it has a dirty one in it then it would leed one to believe that the truck has not been taken care of....
what should it read for fuel pressure?
by the looks of it there given me more for my jeep than they want for the truck and im tryin to lo-ball the dealer as much as possible.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it is from a dealer I would ask them to check the fp.. stock lp should put out from 12-14psi at idol.. Anything less is not good... Also if it is from a dodge dealer they can pull the history of repairs for you..

If it has the stock lp on it plan on spending $2k on replacing it adn th eIP... You might not have to replace it but it is good to know you planned for it in case...

get an air dog 150 on it as soon as you can...

Old 07-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by boosted
if it is from a dealer I would ask them to check the fp.. stock lp should put out from 12-14psi at idol.. Anything less is not good... Also if it is from a dodge dealer they can pull the history of repairs for you..

If it has the stock lp on it plan on spending $2k on replacing it adn th eIP... You might not have to replace it but it is good to know you planned for it in case...

get an air dog 150 on it as soon as you can...
the 1st week i get it i'm planning on ordering
ATS Tranny Cooler
MBRP 4" Stacks w/ 6" Angles
Arp Head Stud Kit
FASS or Air Dog 150gph fuel sys
Industrial Injection Hot Rod VP-44
Spearco Intercooler kit
Mads Smarty Tuner
Edge Comp Max
Quadzilla Commander Control Sys.
all will be funded by the money they give me for the jeep

then might dip into my savings for a transmission, turbo (ATS Aurora 5000 Turbo Kit), DD 200hp injectors, Fluidampr Pulley, ATS ARC Manifold, ATS Pulse 3pc Manifold, and an engine girdle