24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Brake Master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 504 Likes on 412 Posts
Default Brake Master cylinder

Today I had the strangest thing happen. I stopped at a stop sign after about 10 mi. of driving and when I went to go I could hardly get the truck moving. All four wheel brakes were on. I start checking everything I could think of and no clue. I manage to get it to my friends shop about 2 mi. away. All 4 wheels smokin. No leaks nothing from the master cylinder. All new brakes about a month ago, Done by (Midas) another B.S story. Anyway I take off the master cylinder and check everything, looks fine. Check the rod going into master cylinder, all good. WTF. Cant find a new master cylinder anywhere so I decided to see if the plunger will go in and out. Can't get the plunger pushed in. So I put it in a press and give it a little pressure and a bunch of crap not fluid flies out. Now the plunger is free and seems to be working great. I pull the reservoir off and dump all the fluid and find a bunch of sludge in the bottom. Now just a month ago this system was flushed when I had new brakes done. I clean the reservoir to put the master cylinder back on bled the lines and everything seems to be fine. Has anyone ever had something like this happen? The other thing I noticed was the rubber gasket on the reservoir was swollen like it had been in some kind of solvent Wonder why that would be Hate to point fingers but something wasn't right. I think I was touched by Midas

Old 06-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

ive heard bad things bout my local midas, improperly doing stuff to cut time. thats why i do it myself.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:56 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

yeah do it yourself you may break stuff and it may take a little longer but atleast you know what you did and you dont get ripped off by some big company

Old 06-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts

I would speculate that they either didn't flush it, got water in there when they did or both. Of course my speculation is purely speculation for the sake of speculation.

Either way you need to replace that MC and flush it...again...or for the first time.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by Johnny Cetane
I would speculate that they either didn't flush it, got water in there when they did or both. Of course my speculation is purely speculation for the sake of speculation.

Either way you need to replace that MC and flush it...again...or for the first time.
I did order the mc but it's 2 days out so this I hope will get me by until then. I will definitely flush a lot of brake fluid through to make sure the crap is out of the system. My reservoir is now clean at least.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:21 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

id also look at replaces the brake hoses, especially the front. i just replaced them on my grandfathers 99 cummins, 105k and even after the system had been flushed, when i cut them open, there was a massive ammount of gunk inside of them.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you guys flushing the brake system? You just opening up the bleeders and letting gravity do it? Or pressing onthe pedal and having someone fill up the Master as it drains? Thanks....sorry for jackin the thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Diesel Bomber

Open the bleeders and keep pumping the brake and keep adding fluid is how I do it.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:27 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Has anyone used the autobleeders?

Old 07-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazz
Open the bleeders and keep pumping the brake and keep adding fluid is how I do it.

That's kinda what I figured, but wasn't sure. thanks

Quick Reply: Brake Master cylinder