24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

2001 24v 5.9 acting up

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 24v 5.9 acting up

Have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 lariet Quad cab,all stock,Automatic Trans,24v 5.9 with 307,000 miles.Got the truck unknowing anything about diesel engines.Here is what i have discovered about it.I drove it around the block noticed tranny was not shifting out right and not going into overdrive at all and was slipping slightly.iI got it home and checked the fluid levels found tranny was five quarts low.engine oil was five quarts low and power steering was not even on stick refilled them all back to full.Drove the truck around the block again found the tranny was shifting out right and not slipping as far as i could tell.Noticed the check engine light on along with break light and seatbelt light,all were stady on no blinking.Learned to pull codes off onboard code reader use three key on method codes i got back were as follows pcu p1693 done ecu p0219,p1690,p0341,p0382 done.After resetting the cel 1st time i dove the truck for ten miles still no check engine light and the truck run like a new i think being my first diesel rig.THe next day i go 20 feet cel came back on with the same exact codes as 1st time tested.The truck starts and runs good but you can tell something just not right.anyways ive reset the ecm 5 times after cleaning and jiggeling wires what not.Still getting the same codes back everytime.I took airbox out and noticed the ecm had junkyard writing on it.Anyways I talked to previous owner lives across the street,And he told me he had paid to have the fuel pump in tank replaced and i noticed a brand new liftpump was installed.And he paid another shop to replace the ecm.Is it possible that a junk and ecm would make my truck run but spit these codes out.if it wasnt programed properly for my truck.Another thing i noticed while checking into my truck was the tach was jumping all around and then just played dead,But it only happened just once.when i pulled the hose off the turbocharger i only found like 3 drops of old oil there and no play in fan.Noiced the truck runs fine while check engine light is out but when it comes back on you can hear the difference and feel the difference in its driveing. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE APERCIATED ON I SHOULD TACKEL THIS PROJECT. And Thanks in advance guys and gals.NEw to this forum and like what ive read here!!!!!

Old 12-21-2017, 10:09 PM
Up Probblems solved after studying posted material

Well after reading a ton of stuff on this engine.I have gain enough information to feel comfortable enough to began dealing with this truck.As you might have gathered the previous owners of this truck was not very big on maintaince.I,m not complaining the truck was almost given to me by my fustrated neighbor.Who was tired of dumping lots of money in it and still not be fixed.Some time during trucks life somebody knew something because the a/c lines were wrap in foil to keep down interferance to transmission sensors.well im posting what i found and what ive done to this truck as i go i hopes somebody can correct me and set me in the right direction when i get stumped.Also someone else might be helped by me writeing this stuff down here.ok i washed the engine bay as well as i could in order to be able to hang on to the wrenches as i work .And to help detect leaks and such.I then began looking for ground wires and where they were connected.saw most of them were on drivers side area. Took out battery box for room to work and proceeded to clean up ground and reset them.iN THE PROCESS relized it would be easier to get to camshaft position sensor with battery box out.removed the air pipe from intake horn.Replaced the cps then.Discovered a wire had feel off the place where the battery wires meet tighten up plug and reset all those wires.Also discovered a cut vacume off hidden behind air tube hope it goes to cruise control my light comes on.Located under that battery box was what i think is the cruise control module.While i was at it i cleaned the map sensor although it didnt look to bad.Im gonna put it all back tomorrow.Might build me An oil overflow line out of pvc like i saw another person do because my bottle has a large crack in the bottom,And try to determ if i need to reseal the vacume pump,Meanwhile ill be looking for fuel pressure gauge and a boost gauge,To help me determine the condition of fueling system.Get back to you guys when i get caught up with it let ya know the outcomeas i go thanks

Old 12-21-2017, 10:25 PM

Hello again,I replaced camshaft position sensor tack was acting up.Attached vacume pump back up to vacume manifold on top of wirewall area;Hook that little wire back up to the battery block located under battery box;reset all grounds i could find;put it all back together.Reset ecm by unhooking the batterys while i was working and for some reason i had to push the trip meter button in then turn key on to get it to reset.Cranked the truck let idel for 5 minuets still no cel on.Drove the truck for 106 miles still no check engine light on.Truck running very good i still want to adjust the valves and tighten the transmission band at least the one on outside of transmission.Thanks goes out to everbody who has posted on this site so we may be keeping our trucks in good running order.I know ill be richer for reading it.Thanks again everybody who has contributed to this cause.BECAUSE IT WORKS. FRED