24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

P1689 ecu/vp44

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1689 ecu/vp44

hey guys need a little help on 2001 Dodge Ram quad cab,4x4,auto trans and vin 6. First diesel I inherited the truck I know it sat for a year before I got it. Truck ran fine for about 2 weeks went to the store one morning came out had a check engine light on and the truck would start but shut off in about 5 seconds, It did it three more times then it ran fine. It had p1689 and the map sensor code. I replaced the map sensor, two new batteries, new battery cable ends, cleaned electronic connections with electrical cleaner n dielectric grease, replace fuel relay,fuel filter, check all fuses and then clear the codes. Truck ran great for about a week, then same problem went to the store one morning drove fine never had a dead pedal,trucking cutting off or lost of power anytime I had the truck. Engine light was back and code p1689 the truck would just crank with no start. Was not able to clear the code so had the truck towed. Got the truck home check all fuel lines for leaks, lift pump was running when you turn the truck over n runs for 15 seconds, getting 15 psi fuel pressure to the injector pump while cranking. Pulled the plug from the back of the injector pump tested pin6 with my test light for ground which I had. Pin 7 for 12 volt power I had no power with the key in accessory or cranking only time my light would turn on was for a spilt second while turnin to the off position. I also did the hot wire test for injector pump that I got from blue chip diesel putting power to pin 7 and ground to pin 6. All I get is a click noise and it does it one time. My question is could it be both the ecm and injector pump bad? Any suggestions on my next step to diagnose? Thank you for the help

Old 11-27-2017, 12:55 PM
FormerVendor
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If it won't start with the pump hooked to the battery and you have fuel then the pump is bad. I'm not sure if the ECM will drop the power when it doesn't see any load from the dead pump or not, some circuits will do that.