24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Safe Towing RPM Range And With OD Or No??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyM
Well, I did it. Coming over the Grapevine on I5 was scary painful (35mph). But once I learned to keep the boost up, it did pretty good. As soon as the outside temperature dropped from 103 to under 80 I got some power back. Once I learned to keep the boost up and temps were in the 70s, I could tow in OD as long as I kept the boost up. So needless to say, I'll be shopping for RV275s and finally installing that 4" exhaust that has been sitting in a box in my garage. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks guys, Mike.
Sounds like you got it figured out .
The exhaust and injectors should make a nice addition. If you don't have a box/module of any type then you may need to get a boost fooler when you install the injectors.
Bigger injectors=More fuel=More boost. I'm not sure if the RV275's will make enough difference, but if you start throwing an Overboost code after installing the injectors then you will probably need a boost fooler.
Let us know how it works out.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Doohhh!! I forgot you've got the VA box, you should be good on the boost fooler thingymabob.

Last edited by dieseltracks; 06-17-2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Right, thanks man. I do have a boost elbow, too. So what do you think?? With RV275s, the VA and a 4" exhaust and boost elbow, I should be around 300hp/650tq?

I know it's hard to say but I just want something so it's not such a dog. Would like to get as much out of the HX35 without changing it.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyM
Right, thanks man. I do have a boost elbow, too. So what do you think?? With RV275s, the VA and a 4" exhaust and boost elbow, I should be around 300hp/650tq?

I know it's hard to say but I just want something so it's not such a dog. Would like to get as much out of the HX35 without changing it.
Hard to tell HP wise, but that should be a good set-up with the HX35.
The HX35 will handle those injectors just fine.
You should get a little bump in fuel economy too.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to know. Now the 64 dollar question - Will it be enough so I can tow 12k lbs without being a dog?

Last edited by MikeyM; 06-18-2008 at 08:23 AM.