24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

1999 cummins problem child

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 cummins problem child

Hey guys i just got my hands on a 99 ram 2500 eclb 24v 4x4 this weekend. Im posting from home and the trucks at my shop so forgive me and my fuzzy details ahead of time. When i got it it didnt run, the kid said it shut off driving and he had no idea what was going on. I put new fuel filters on it (gelled up a bit) and it fires up and purrs like a kitten. Now i have a whole plethora of other issues. The first is with pcm readings on my scanner. Its only showing 9v pcm voltage, as well as injection pump. Is that normal? the ckp bounces between 0 and 225ish rpm when i watch the data stream. (As well as injection pump engine speed and cmp speed but cmp speed is more steady) I would think the ckp should read actual engine rpm? (Truck idles at 750-800ish iirc). apps sensor reads 0v- .25v max no matter how its adjusted, and the apps percentage doesnt seem right. Soo bad ecu, ground, ckp, apps, etc? All the battery cables are new in the truck and brand new batterys that test good. No problems there, brand new alternator and rewired for external voltage regulator. Charges at 13.5ish. So thats one issue. The next is with the transmission, maybe. When i put the truck im gear (reverse or neutral) it almost dies or does die. Feels almost like the torque converter is locked up all the time. I have only putzed around the parking lot in it but it feels sluggish. It has a derales deep pan in it with the spacer. I had to put a new pan gasket on and nothing looked out of whack, but lets be homest theres not much to be seen with only the pan off. Hopefully you guys can help me figure some stuff out before i start dumping money on stuff for no reason. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2017, 03:38 PM

New data. Scanner is showing code p0122 (apps low voltage) apps sensor shows 0v on scanner key on engine off, .16v idling, and goes to 0v with any amount of throttle. Apps percentage reading on scanner maxes out at 60% foot to the floor. I checked voltage and ground at apps its etting 4.95v iirc. If i check the voltage at the pcm it only shows .25 or 0v fully adjusted either way. ckp and cmp are showing 225 rpm at idle (750rpm on tach). Ecm voltage is showing 9v on scanner. Not sure if all the other stuff is a bi product of the low ecm voltage. Ive cleaned what i believe to be every single ground in the engine bay. Not sure where to go from here hopefully someone can help.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Default Update

Alright so i got a few things sorted but still not where i need to be. I figured out the trans was in limp mode because the trans relay wasnt getting trigger power, so i wired 12v ignition into the trigger and it starts in first and shifts somewhat normally now. Its still slamming into gear like the converter is lockes up. Could that be the gov solenoid/sensor?

I got out on the road for a decent test drive and after giving it throttle driving it shuts down and i have to get it fired back up with ether. If i hammer it it will haul *** for 5 seconds or so then start cutting out like its running out of fuel. I have a fuel pressure gauge installed just waiting for the snubber valve to show up today. Also the lift pump started doing this cute thing randomly where if i bump it the relay clicks a few times and it doesnt turn on. If i do the actuation test on my scanner it will come on okay. Once the truck starts the scanner is showing the lift pump actuation as on but its hard to hear if its actually running thanks to the 5" straight pipe.

I replaced the apps sensor, crank sensor, and cam sensor and the scanner is still showing wierd meausurements. The crank reading spikes back and forth between 225rpm and 800rpm. Should be a smoothish 800ish rpm reading correct? Tach reads fine. Apps voltage at pcm reads .51v at idle, and 3.6ishv at wot with a dvom. But on my scanner its showing .16-.24v at idle and drops to 0v as soon as you touch the throttle and stays there till you let off.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:33 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Check your AC noise. Not a hard test. Get a multimeter and put the positive on the stud behind the alternator and the negative on the battery post. Switch it over to 2v on the meter. The number you should get should be somewhere between 0.01 and 0.04. If it is over 0.05 or higher your alternator has been slowly destroying your electronics. It will cause your TC to do funny things. Also when you get it officially installed what is your fuel pressure? What size injectors are you running?

Old 04-10-2017, 01:38 PM

made some progress. There was no damn diesel in the truck. long story short they messed up putting the module back in the tank and it was reading full but was almost bonedry. Did some sump mods and filled it with new diesel and it doesnt die after wot pulls anymore. Fuel pressure was at 7 psi, i turned the airdog up to 15psi. Doing the ac test today. Its still acting like the tranny is in limp mode even with the trans relay working. Been wondering if maybe the governor or pressure sensor is bad? Maybe theres been transmission work done somewhere along the line and line pressure was increased and is causing issues. Not sure. Im looking into doing the gm governor upgrade but cant find the transducer upgrade kit for a 99, only ones i see are 00-07.