24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

99 24v having some issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 24v having some issues

Just bought a black ext cab 1999 24v auto. Having a few issues with it, any help is greatly appreciated.

Here's my info.

This is my first 24v auto. My previous two trucks were 12v 5spds 93 and 97 never had an issue. My 93 had 25lbs of boost and the 97 had 40lbs. Needless to say I wasn't very impressed when I test drove this 24v. 16lbs is max all I can get. And the transmission shifts a little hard. I bought the truck because it's originally from Oklahoma so it has no rust, I live in New England which makes this truck a gem. It has a 3" lift 35s, newer vp44, new 3" exhaust, s&b intake, 3 pillar gauges (egt,boost,trans) but trans temp gauge isn't working. So pretty much stock truck. It's got 336k miles, I was told transmission was rebuilt at some point and along with new engine gaskets and seals but I don't have paperwork. The lift pump is hooked up to a toggle switch in the cab (bought it like that).

Now for the two issues that I'm having and not sure what's going on.

First... I start my truck up, starts up good, idles at 800rpm sounds good, then after a minute or so rpms start climbing, revs up to 1200rpm or so, then starts sputtering and sounding like crap, running like junk. I tap the gas pedal and she drops down to 800rpm and runs fine. It will repeat this until warmed up, because when I drive around for a while and park, it will idle fine. Hmmm

Second...When I'm driving, and I have my foot into the pedal pretty good, like when coming up to a big hill, when the truck hits around 2k rpm or higher, she starts cutting out, bu bu bu, bububu. Hmm that ain't right . Starving for fuel?? My first thoughts were upgrade the lift pump to a fass and change any other filters I can. The injection pump looks brand new, guy I bought it from said it's newer. i know I'm probably having multiple issues here..Good ol 12v jus spools and clouds up plooms. Miss thoughs days. Please help. Thanks guys!

Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

You should be making more than 16lbs of boost. Could be a leak somewhere between turbo and engine. If you do a search for boost leak tester on here you will find instructions on how to make one and test for leaks. I still have my stock turbo and can peak it at 28-30lbs. Issue one sounds like 3 cylinder high idle has been enabled with a smarty programmer. Issue two could be several different things. What is your fuel pressure and where is the pressure sensor located?

Old 01-23-2017, 02:32 PM

Thanks Bryce!

-Yes issue #1 "3cyl high idle" that's exactly it! Why does it do that? Something wrong? sounds like a pos

-issue #2..I'm not sure fuel pressure or the sensor location but I will figure that out.

-for boost issue I will check out a boost leak tester

Thank you!

Old 01-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

3cyl high idle cuts the fuel to 3 cylinders to put a load on the engine to help it warm up faster. Once up to operating temp or when you start to drive it will go back to normal idle. If you do not like the 3cyl high idle you would need the original smarty programmer used to turn 3cyl high idle on to put it back to normal idle all the time or you will have to take it to dodge and have the computer reflashed. The fuel pressure sensor should be between the the filter and the vp44 to get correct fuel pressure reading to the injection pump. If it is anywhere else it needs to be moved. For vp44 functionality and longevity fuel pressure needs to be between 14-20psi at idle and not dropping below 10psi at wide open throttle. Below 10psi vp44 is starving and will reduce pump life.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:30 PM

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the info. I will check out the fuel pressure sensor/ fuel pressure and go from there.