24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

What engine should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine should I use?

I'd like to start out with I'm new to diesel. I'm wanting to make a BOV and for good reason would like to run it on biodiesel. I want a cummins because with an inline 24v six I know I'll be able to achieve more torque off the line. Contrary to more popular choices I want to build up a Toyota Tacoma TRD. Why such a small truck? Mobility, functionality, and weight. I know using a small truck will raise many issues as far as weight, frame strength, and suspension but all that is gonna get beefed up anyway. All I want to know is what the best engine for get up and get the **** out for a super weighed down (small) truck? I want to achieve around 500-700 hp with a 3-stage turbo. Also I have no idea what turbo I should use for diesel. I'm typically more of a petrol guy so once more, I'm new to all of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Diesel Fan

For those hp's, non 53 block for everyone, but if youre on a budget less build go for the mexico block. It didnt have a casting number and proved to be the strongest of the early 24v's. A vp44 can be a weak link. You can get a performance one, but even with it you will have to get the computer in there and kinda keep the same wiring. One thing you may be interested in is a P-pump swap on the 24v. Essentially put the P7100 on a 24 valve. And those of course can come geared for race. Most guys turn the screw but all is possible with it and no computers. Overall, you cant go wrong with the motor. Someone else will need to advise on turbos as I'm not to familiar with anything aftermarket.

I understand you plan to beef the frame, suspension, etc., do you have a plan for transmission? thats a big piece to fit into a little pickup, and after you get the block in and cut back the firewall (if you dont have the space). Being the cummins your options are near limitless for the trans, just what you want and building to take that kind of power.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:06 AM
Default I don't know...

I wanna start with the engine and go from there. Again I'm new to diesel. I want to (if I can) do a dual clutch, but I don't know if they do shifter paddle transmission for diesels. By the time I start the build I should have a good stack of money to drop. I'm just trying to get my foot in the door so I can start planning everything out. Do you have any suggestions?

Old 01-21-2017, 03:22 PM
Default I don't know.

I wanna start with the engine and go from there. Again I'm new to diesel. I want to (if I can) do a dual clutch, but I don't know if they do shifter paddle transmission for diesels. By the time I start the build I should have a good stack of money to drop. I'm just trying to get my foot in the door so I can start planning everything out. Do you have any suggestions?

Originally Posted by davidthomas
For those hp's, non 53 block for everyone, but if youre on a budget less build go for the mexico block. It didnt have a casting number and proved to be the strongest of the early 24v's. A vp44 can be a weak link. You can get a performance one, but even with it you will have to get the computer in there and kinda keep the same wiring. One thing you may be interested in is a P-pump swap on the 24v. Essentially put the P7100 on a 24 valve. And those of course can come geared for race. Most guys turn the screw but all is possible with it and no computers. Overall, you cant go wrong with the motor. Someone else will need to advise on turbos as I'm not to familiar with anything aftermarket.

I understand you plan to beef the frame, suspension, etc., do you have a plan for transmission? thats a big piece to fit into a little pickup, and after you get the block in and cut back the firewall (if you dont have the space). Being the cummins your options are near limitless for the trans, just what you want and building to take that kind of power.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were actually going to do this, you absolutely should use a 12 valve not a computerized 24 valve.
Physically fitting a 6BT Cummins into a Toyota is going to be next to impossible.
The engine compartment isn't long enough.
You'll need the frame and suspension major beefing you mentioned, and the Cummins torque will immediately break your axles.
I cannot see why on earth anyone would do this. I get it, light weight and compact size... but in reality, it isn't gonna be light when it's properly built and not significantly smaller.
Juat buy a Dodge shortbed that has a Cummins. It will already have the frame, suspension, axles, everything.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your only other option would be a 4bt Cummins or similar smaller diesel. There is a 4bt swap website dedicated to the smaller engines.