24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Tachometer works at start then immediately stops

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer works at start then immediately stops

Hello. I have a 98.5 Cummins turbo. The clutch went out two years ago and I finally got it to the mechanic. He changed it out and then the batteries were dead and then he said it needed a new computer. We put in he. Ew computer on the block and their is still a check engine light.

The tachometer works when you start the truck and then after two seconds you hear the engine sound different and then the tach stops working. My truck sat for two years and hat rats living in it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-08-2017, 03:43 PM

I'm no expert but sounds to me like you have a bad cam position sensor or the critters chewed up the wiring to it. The sensor is located above the starter. I'd check there first and then check all electrical grounds. Cheers.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:10 PM

Thank you. He already changed the crank sensor but I notice there are a lot of wires that do to the battery that he did not recconect. I'm waiting for my book to come in so I can trace the wires. Thank you for the advice. I already spent $3000 on this but I love my Dodge. It has over 600,000 miles on it. I can drive it but there is no power at all. It takes forever to get up to highway speed. It is worse than my old 84 chevy diesel truck.