24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

5.9 24v wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 24v wont start

Hey guys I know its another wont start thread but ive gone thru them all. Here is my situation. Truck ran rough and blew white smoke. had injectors tested and replaced them all, still no fix, replaced vp44 and lift pump, still no fix. Finally pulled the head off and found a melted exhaust valve, machine shop said head had multiple cracks. truck ran fine besides loss of low end power and some smoke. started every time no issues. today i finally got a brand new head installed and everything put together. bled the fuel lines and have fuel coming out of the lines at the head. truck cranks fine but wont start. im at a loss now. any ideas?

Thanks

Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Just out of curiosity, you didn't touch the engine timing at all did you?
If you have fuel at the head make sure you have it at all 6 lines, could have fried the new pump if you cranked it dry

Old 01-05-2017, 10:49 PM

No I don't I did not touch the timing and I made sure I had fuel at all 6 before cranking. I've removed and reinstalled the injectors 6 times during this trouble shooting problems and never had an issue. Bleed and start.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:56 AM

Also, I am not getting a reading on the tach while cranking, Im leaning towards crank position sensor? any input guys?

Old 01-07-2017, 01:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Quite possibly the cps. Did you check for codes? If you don't have a reader you can turn the key from off, on, off, on, off, on and leave it. You have to do that within 10 seconds. Any codes the computer is throwing will show up in the odometer. They will go fast so have your phone handy and take a picture as they show.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:23 PM

thanks for the reply. I guess I should have specified this is in a f800 bucket truck. I do not have any codes. I did replace the CPS and no difference. finally last night I hit it with a quick 1 sec burst of starting fluid and it did fire up great. Idled fine so I took it down the block and back. plenty of power thru 1st and second then bogged down when I hit hill in 3rd, severe lack of power. got home shut it down let it sit for 10 min or so then cranked it back up. very slow to start. did this 3-4 times and the longer it sits the harder it is to restart. this morning it wont start. i did notice the hard fuel line between the lift pump and the fuel filter was bent over when doing the head and I had to bend it back to get it to line up with the filter housing. im thinking its starving for fuel because I have absolutely no smoke. what are you thoughts? I have a few days to mess around with other stuff while I wait on the line to come in.