24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

New truck just purchased where do I start ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 01:04 PM
Naz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New truck just purchased where do I start ?

Just bought myself a 99 24 valve cummins and I have no idea what to buy first some people say to buy the edge right off the bat some say the intake first then injectors figured I'd seek some help. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Naz; 12-24-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:28 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

First you want to get a Good lift pump and fuel pressure gauge. Then, get gauges to monitor vitals (Exhaust, boost, trans). Before you add power you need to upgrade the transmission. Manual should have a better than stock clutch, auto should have better TC and VB. Once you get those taken care of then you can add power accordingly. I would recommend look at the quad when its time to add power. I just swapped over to it and like the power and cleanliness it gave me over the edge.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:19 PM

I just bought my first F350 diesel. Its a 2005 F350 SWD Lariot Crrew cab with the 6.0 Power Stroke. I have been reading a lot of horror stories about the 6.0. I bought it from the 2nd owner, he has Done the EGR delete, Replaced the oil cooler, replaced the injectors, replaced the head gaskets and the head studs and replaced the hpop.
So from what I have been reading it sounds like the things that are the most common issues have been replaced. I hope so because I know nothing about diesels

Old 03-08-2017, 08:28 PM

agree with gh0stman, get gauges to monitor first. Then k&n filter/intake then I got an edge pro comp after gauges. once the clutch let go I upgraded, it was an expected failure/upgrade. then i got a smarty and stacked them. once again clutch let go (kinda figured it would happen) this time i put a southbend double disk in. I still have a NAPA stock lift pump (life time warranty when pressure gets low i change it in their parking lot). This is what i run to this day on stock turbo and injectors, its no racetruck but it makes nice power and its still my daily driver 105 miles round trip 4 day a week