24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

99 24v. Won't start without ether

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 24v. Won't start without ether

I'm at a loss here guys. I've been researching for 2 straight days and I just can't figure this out. Like it says I cannot get this thing to start without ether (yes I know it's really bad for it). The odd thing is the truck runs beautifully once it's started. only takes a couple quick burst. the odd thing is I can shut it off and 2 seconds later it won't start again until I spray it. I've replaced the LP and the filter and still have the same problem. I need to get this fixed asap before the heater starts turning on and I end up blowing this thing sky high. (obviously I'm not going to spray it when it gets colder). truck does have a power puck on it which I'm taking off tomorrow morning. any and all opinions or help is welcome.

also the only code I get is 380

Old 10-17-2016, 04:31 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Your code is for intake heater relay. What fuel pressure are you seeing?

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (10-29-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 07:17 AM

heater circut should be irrelevant right now since it's not below 60 if I'm not mistaken. I've got a new fass pump on buy I'm going to get an accurate reading at work today

Old 10-17-2016, 11:09 AM

Some new info. Checked the oil today and it is very thin. very "clean" (like too clean) and has a greenish tint to it. when I wipe the dipstick with a paper towel it is very diluted, smells like fuel, and when I let it sit for a half hour or so it seems to almost completely evaporate and stain the towel yellow. I fear my whole pan may be full of fuel.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:10 AM

will leaking injectors cause a no start problem but run fine after its running

Old 10-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

You might want to get an oil analysis. How bad is the blow by?

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (10-29-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 11:19 AM

I plan to just to be safe. blow by is minimal if any. no smoke. no noticeable hazing. it's not very cold out yet

Old 10-21-2016, 05:03 PM

for those of you interested still. finally got around to doing a fuel pressure test. rains been making it hard to get any progress. anyway. I'm getting 12-13 psi on prime and doesn't drop below 8 psi under load. so I would say my LP is working fine so hopefully that should also rulet out a bad injection pump as far as heat goes. although with 189k on the original IP it could still be worn seals I suppose. I'm still leaning towards (hoping really) the crossover tubes being the issue. I'm off tomorrow and I've got new seals on the way so let the tear down begine.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:42 PM

well getting closer atleast. took it all apart and put all new orings on the injectors and fuel tubes and new washers on the injectors. put it back togther. bled it all out and she fired! ran like crap for about 45 seconds while it cleared air out and then smoothed out. let it warm up and then shut it off. let it sit for a few seconds and she fired right back up. (before I couldn't do this) however I let it sit over night and sure enough. just cranks. have to bleed every line and then it will start. so I think I have fixed the major leak that was keeping it from firing after a short off period but I still have a leak somewhere that's releasing pressure over time. progress atleast

Old 10-29-2016, 04:00 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Pull the injectors have them pop checked and might as well get some nozzles for them also. RV275 nozzles are nice for a low to mid performance upgrade.
here's some pictures and a video from Thoroughbred Diesel.
https://www.dieselbombers.com/98-5-0...tallation.html