24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

PLEASE HELP New turbo and injector problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 07:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default PLEASE HELP New turbo and injector problem

i ordered a 62/65/14 and some 150's from DAP along with headstuds. all is in and it starts ok kinda different than stock form and it idles and drives but boy does it smoke..... I've heard this is a great combo and it cleans up but it won't. stock level on the juice is the only way it will clean up until it hits 4th then it will smoke again. the higher the level the worse it gets. turbo won't spool till about 2100-2200 and when it does stops at 32lbs. haven't touched waste gate yet. EGTs through the roof. 1000 degrees cruising at 65. if this was normal with this setup surely someone would've said something. something isn't right. can't get ahold of DAP till tues and I'm clueless. i will not drive my truck like this. thanks for reading

Old 07-02-2016, 10:43 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Sounds like a great pulling truck combo not sure if that is street able. That's alot of fuel......are you running a aftermarket exhaust manifold?

Old 07-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel
Sounds like a great pulling truck combo not sure if that is street able. That's alot of fuel......are you running a aftermarket exhaust manifold?
No manifold, air horn, nothing. snail, sticks and program. everywhere i read this is a steetable combo that will run clean when needed and hurt feeling when wanted. and the only feelings its hurting are the poor people behind me. there has got to be an underlying problem. i peg the EGT gauge at 1500 all day long and the edge has to cut fuel for me. slow spool and a ton of smoke. boost leak? i ordered new manifold gasket today with grid heater and air horn gaskets and I'm gonna slap those on.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Diesel Fan

Well i did a smoke test on it and with low pressure my boost leak came to light. the compressor housing outlet of the turbo there is an elbow and an o-ring and a v-band clamp. it is leaking through that. o-ring was so brittle when i tried to remove it broke... and v-band clamp broke trying to remove it. so now is my new question does anyone have any idea where i can get these ASAP, part numbers would also be great. thanks.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:10 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

So the new parts broke? I assume you ran a boost leak test on the system. With those injectors and turbo you should see a nice clean power increase.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Turns out compressor outlet wasn't machined right so they sent me a new one. Got rid of all boost leaks runs great a lot more power. Only thing that boggles me is 1-2 gear don't see the 45 psi that lockup sees? Any reason why? Next project is bd-rad and spooling this turbo faster

Old 07-13-2016, 01:18 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

That's great news man nice work!
The only thing that comes to mind about the boost is maybe the trans (if automatic) is slipping or converter is not able to handle the low end torque in first and second.