24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Lift pump help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift pump help

OK 2 months ago I had to replace my vp44 and lift pump. I installed a fass ddrp pump and everything has been working great up until now... my truck will start and run but spits and sputters like it's losing fuel driving down the road. Got it home and the lift pump won't kick on. So I got a new relay and it turns the lift pump on when I bump the starter but when I fire the truck up the lift pump gets no power to it. If I pull the relay and put it back in the lift pump will work again until I start it up again. Anyone have any ideas? I'm lost and not much for electrical.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd try a new relay, I have a '92 dodge that had the same problem, I ended up changing 3 relays before it would stay running. I don't understand dodge wiring either, my 2000 ram when you turn on the ignition you can't hear the lift pump run but if you bump the starter it will run for a little while. maybe some one out there can explain where the lift pump gets it's power from and what controls it cycling on & off ??

Old 06-13-2016, 04:39 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

The pump pulls its power from the ECM. I would call FASS and see what they have to say about the issue. No reason why there are so many bad relays.