24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Power steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering problems

Hey guys, I'm a firetruck mechanic in Texas and we have a brush Truck that came in for a leaking steering box. It's a 99 cummins 3500 auto 4x4. We replaced the steering box and went to drive it and the power steering quits working about half way through.
We get it back in the shop thinking the pump was bad so we replaced it and still no good, steering too tight with ought reving the engine. So we replaced all the lines and hydroboost. Finally we replace the gearbox and power steering pump again and still the same problem. What are we doing wrong? Any hints? We've been bleeding it by jacking up the front and turning back and forth. Any help would be greatful, thanks.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never could get all the air out of mine like that. I wound up just driving it for a few days and that got all the air out.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man. Update, yesterday filling put the 4th pump on and everything works fine... can't imagine getting 3 bad pumps brand new, won't be buying any 3f pumps anymore

Old 05-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first 3f pump I put on didn't work at all. The second one is still working fine. It was a chore to change them though and now I run hydralic fluid in it for a little extra pressure. It makes it easier to turn.