24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Question on turbo downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 10:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Question on turbo downpipe

It's time to do another upgrade on my truck. Trying to work on some of the cheaper stuff at the moment. Since I feel a headache coming on from my research, I figured I would come talk to the guys I have come to respect.

We cut the exhaust off the truck right about the cab and truck junction area awhile ago and had planned on fabbing a 4" exhaust, only to discover that it's 3" at the turbo. I was all set to purchase one a new downpipe, and did a little research first. I am getting conflicting research on whether this is a good idea or not.

I would really like some opinions on the matter if you guys don't mind. I have no plans on really beefing the truck up at any point beyond some minor stuff to improve the performance of her. The only aftermarket mod she has so far is the FASS lift pump I put on in November. Loving what that did for throttle response and overall power. Would like it to be a little more crisp if possible. Better fuel mileage would be great as well. So, the main plans I have are to complete the exhaust and to get an aftermarket airbox on the truck. Not sure if I am a fan of chips or programmers, so have nothing in the works as far as that goes.

What do you guys think?

Old 04-11-2016, 05:05 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

I run a diamond eye down pipe that's 4 inches and mounts up perfectly to the elbow on the turbo. Not ideal for flow but it gets the job done. Since you are not going for big HP you will be fine with that set up.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:10 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by gh0stman
I run a diamond eye down pipe that's 4 inches and mounts up perfectly to the elbow on the turbo. Not ideal for flow but it gets the job done. Since you are not going for big HP you will be fine with that set up.
That is one of the ones I had looked at. Thank you for your advice! Did you notice better throttle response once you installed the new downpipe?

Old 04-16-2016, 12:16 AM
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

You will not notice anything with a downpipe. Jump to a large turbo and injectors and you will notice things change

Old 04-16-2016, 06:17 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Couldn't tell you. Put the exhaust and the tuner on at the same time.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Just-Another-Dieselguy
You will not notice anything with a downpipe. Jump to a large turbo and injectors and you will notice things change
Maybe someday when the trans gets replaced or upgraded.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:38 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by gh0stman
Couldn't tell you. Put the exhaust and the tuner on at the same time.
Okay. I will have to let you know if I notice any difference at all.