24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Cummins Build Opinions/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 10:18 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cummins Build Opinions/Advice

So i just boughtmy first diesel truck and i just started college. I work two jobs and i make "ok" money for my age. I however want more power and ive been reading and studying but i want a personal opinion from people who have been there and done that. I bought a 2002 cummins QCSB 4x4. The transmission was built when i bought it. It has an replacement IP on it. The stock carter was on it, so i pulled it off and ran dual carters with a oil pressure switch, and it came with an Edge Juice and a 4" straight pipe. Now i have this plan for a build and it will run around 2500-2800.

-Super B Special
-DDP 200hp injectors
-Head Studs
-Pusher Air Horn
-Tunnel Ram

I do not plan on towing. I want to beat the Powerstrokes and Duramaxs that the daddy's bought their kids but still able to drive normally. i know i wont take all of them but a few here and there. I want to see your opinions on if i need to remove/add/swap anything from my list. Thanks for reading.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

I would ditch the carter lift pumps. Don't worry about the air horn or the ram. Waste of money, just eye candy for our trucks. How "built" is your transmission? Did it come with paperwork?

Old 04-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Diesel Wrench

And as for the super b special it will be a little laggy. You might want to look at a killer b or something in that size.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No it did not. if it goes i have a guy that builds great trannys for good price so im just gonna ride it till it dies. there is a combo kit with a killer B and some 150's no headstuds. and it is only 400 bucks cheaper. what would be the power difference between the special and the killer?

Old 04-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Diesel Wrench

That I don't know but the killer b will be less laggy. If you plan on racing of some sort get the studs. You will blow a head gasket. But My advice is to call a vendor like DAP and see what they can work you. Trying to find your sweet spot will be a little difficult.