24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Fuel issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 08:14 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel issue?

I have a 98.5 24v. Started off to work and had no issues. Just another day. Stopped for coffee and upon leaving I got after it a little to get up to speed. The truck shut down. I rolled to a stop. Shut the key off and started it back up. It idled rough at first then smoothed out but would choke and not rev when the throttle pressed either too the floor or just feathered. Then towed it home and punt iron the code reader and got these po1693, po380, po336, po1698, po253, po251. I just put a new injector pump and lift pump in it a little over a year ago. It has also been starting a little hard requiring a little extra cranking to get started. I am really hoping its not the injector pump again. A thousand dollar part is not really in the budget right now. All the codes point to the injpump but hoping someone has seen these before. Three of them point to pump the others I am not sure about. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
AL

Old 02-21-2016, 11:29 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like vp 44 might be gone again.
Contact who you bought it from,and see if they would check it for you.
If you are using stock fuel filter I would change it to a after market 2 mic.
Most of problems with our pumps come from fuel contamination.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah unfortunately I agree. Surely your vp is under warranty being only a year. Also if you bought an airdog or a fass lift pump those are both lifetime warranty. I'd start giving em a call.